Chapter 21 - The Beginning of an End

Of course, she wouldn't accept that easily despite her trying to comfort him to tell her the truth. Lucas knows that Athanasia just said that to make him tell her the truth. She was desperate for answers.

He knew yet he fell for her trap. Damn it.

Lucas let out a sigh, running his hand through his raven-colored locks. He promised himself to not give in to her but ended up failing. How big is her impact on him? It's annoying and amusing him at the same time.

But there's no time to think about that! Athanasia now knew the truth, soon after she will remember everything. And if that time comes. If that time comes...

She might break.

He didn't hesitate to try and find her around the garden to check her up to see if something happened to her or something triggered inside her to remember everything. But she was nowhere to be found. He assumed that she went to where her family is. Her room is a mess after her mana explosion, of course, she would stay in the main palace for a while.

He teleported himself there and sneaked in to see if Athanasia's really with her family, but the younger was not there. He then assumed again that she went back to the Emerald palace, maybe she forgot that she destroyed her room and went back there.

But Athanasia was also not there.

He had a bad feeling about this. He was about to teleport himself to the tower to check something but he stopped, meeting Claude outside.

"Ah..." Was all Lucas could utter, earning a frown from the emperor.

Black hair, red eyes. There's no mistake. It's that fly that kept on annoying his dear daughter. Claude kept his guard up, glaring at the boy who just stood there, too awkward to say something.

Lucas supposed that this is his first meeting with Claude in this timeline. He had to go through that torture again. The interrogation. The thing that Lucas hates ever since the second timeline where Claude started to interrogate him about his relationship with his daughter.

Claude's questions and threats were very hard to avoid and answer with innocent answers. And now, he has to experience it all over again. It's a so-called trauma that he developed because of this guy in front of him being overprotective of his daughter.

Which Lucas could relate to. If he ever has a daughter, those boys that tried to sweep her off her feet have to go through him before to his precious daughter. Though he could also relate the torture that the courtiers would go through before going to their princess.

"So you're the dog." There it is.

Lucas let out a chuckle to lose himself up. "Greetings, Your Majesty," he greeted very politely, bowing to his king. He looked back up to see Claude still glaring at him.

"I am Lucas Maxwell Carson. Just a mere magician from the tower. I am very blessed to see you here in his wonderful night, your majesty," He continued, giving Claude his best smile. He can't afford to lose. After 7 loops, he can survive this.

"A mere magician who is brave enough to be close with my daughter," Claude added coldly. Ah, how Lucas missed this moment with Athanasia's father. "You have some nerve."

Lucas didn't waver and smiled. "The princess is very friendly to everyone sire. I suppose you have noticed how the maids doted on her and also the guards."

Claude raised a brow. This magician is good, he's a little bit impressed but he won't stop. "Indeed. Athanasia is very lovely, isn't she?"

"I agree with you sire," Lucas said with a chuckle, a small blush crept on his face as he imagined Athanasia's lovely smile and her annoyed face. And for the first time, he believed the people of Obelia, the emperor never lie.

Claude's eyes widened a little, seeing the genuine look that Lucas showed as he answered his question. He could see if the person is lying or not, but this magician in front of him is not lying, he knows what he is talking about. He knows how lovely his daughter is inside and out. It's more clear to see than Ijekiel when he tried to talk to him privately.

Lucas never lies if it's about Athanasia. He is even willing to write a book about how lovely she is and how she treated her people. He will shout to the world how he loves her so much and how she is important to him. In this situation with Claude, Lucas has the upper hand.

Claude was about to say something to Lucas but Diana suddenly came out from the Emerald palace with worry and panic on her face. Claude immediately gave all his attention to Diana, forgetting about Lucas.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"A-Athanasia!!" Diana panted, holding onto her husband's arm.

Lucas frowned, listening to the empress. Right, Athanasia. He was looking for her. Is there something wrong?

"What about Athanasia?" Claude asked, trying to calm Diana. "Did something wrong with her?!" Yes, Claude read Lucas's mind.

The two earned a nod from the panicking empress. "Athanasia... She's gone!"

-
Sorry for the late update, I was busy T~T