Chapter 6 - The Pain in his Eyes

"I have a question.." I said, still following him from god-knows-where.

"What is it?" Lucas hummed.

"Where are you taking me?"

"It's a surprise, princess."

I frowned, staring at him cautiously. "You're not gonna give me to the bandits or something right?"

"What?" Lucas stopped and turned his head to me. "Why would I do that?"

"Because-"

"There's no way I would give you to them, not over my dead body," He muttered. I shivered slightly as I felt a cold aura around him. Why is he so angry?

"T-Then where are you taking me?"

As we walk in the town, there's a place that caught my eye, almost making me stop in my tracks. Lucas might've noticed me staring at the shop for too long because he stopped and pointed at the shop.

"You want to go there?" He asked.

"I thought that you're giving me a tour?" I frowned, looking up to him. He's kinda tall.

"It's better to start off with something that you want to go before we go to some places that I will show you," He explained with a shrug. "So.. do you want to go?"

"Let's go!!" I immediately dragged him towards the shop without hesitation. I heard him chuckle behind me as he get dragged by me. He doesn't seem to care with me holding his wrist.

"Woah.." I gulped as I stare at a lot of desserts. I want to try them all!! I squealed inside.

"Oh, hello there!"

I turned and saw a waiter wearing maid outfit, she look so cute in that outfit!

"Have you picked your order yet?" She sweetly asked. It's kinda weird though, she's staring at Lucas more than me.

"Yeah, we would like the couple set please," Lucas said sweetly. And also, what did he mean by couple?!

"Couple?" The lady's eyes widened, same as mine. "You two are-"

"You're here to work miss, no here to ask other peoples relationship," Lucas cut her off, the smile is still etched on his face.

I can clearly see the blush forming on her cheeks. She bowed at us after listing the order and walked away immediately with her head low.

"Yah, why did you choose the couple set?" I hissed, glaring at him. "We're not even a couple!"

"Yet," He said with a wink, making me blush. "I choose it because it's more cheap, I'm broke today."

"Why, are you not doing good in your work?" I teased.

"No, because I spent them for something very expensive yesterday," He replied, smirking. "I'm not a lazy worker."

"You look like one."

"Mhm."

"I was wondering.." I ignored his soulless hum. "Why do they not recognize me?"

Lucas raised a brow.

"I mean, my golden hair and jeweled eyes are very noticeable. How could they not recognize me?" I repeated.

"Because you're not famous?"

"Lucas.." I raised my fist.

"Because you're in disguise right now," He let out a defeated sigh, rolling his eyes. "I covered your hair and your eyes so that no one will notice and there will be no pesky flies to come after you."

"That's so sweet," I said sarcastically, showing him my sincerity.

"Well, I'm the best."

"Yah!"

The maid came back with a tray in her hands and put it down on our table. "Here's your order.." She said bitterly and walked away.

My eyes beamed in delight as I stare at the giant sherbet in front of me. I pulled it closer to me and starts to dig in.

After having 5 scoops of the ice cream, I noticed that Lucas doesn't have one. "Where's yours?" I asked.

He pointed at my sherbet. "There."

"Eh?" I blinked, confused. "But this is..."

"I ordered a couple set right?" He said with a smirk. "Now, feed me."

"Huh?!" I exclaimed. "You have your own hands and get your own spoon!"

"There's only one spoon though."

"Wha-"

Before I could even react, he leaned closer and ate my scoop of ice cream. He sat back down, smirking as he wipe the cream at the corner of his mouth. "Yum."

"Y-Yah!" I flushed red. "T-T-That was....."

"That was what, princess?" He innocently asked, blinking.

I look away, my cheeks are still burning. I can't tell him that it was an indirect kiss, if I tell him that he will tease me more!!

"Nothing..." I said with shaky voice as I hesitantly took another scoop from the cup and ate it.

Just forget it Athy. Forget it.

I peeked at him as I ate another scoop of ice cream. My hands stopped from taking the spoon from my mouth as I noticed Lucas staring at me with a very genuine smile on his face.

"W-What?" I glared at him.

"Nothing," He shook his head. "I just remembered something."

"Hm?"

"Better finish your dessert princess, we still have to go somewhere," Lucas said, ignoring my curiosity.

"O-Okay.."

I continued to eat my dessert, I tried to ignore him but  I can't help myself from peeking at him as he stared at the window.

The way he leaned his chin on the palm on his hand and his lips slowy curves up into a small smile. He was smiling but his eyes looked like it was about to shed some tears.

Why is that?

Why is he looking like that?

And..

Why is my heart aching as I stare at him like that?

"Atha- Princess?!!" He called at me as he noticed me staring.

"Eh?" I got out of my trance and shooky head. "What is it???"

Lucas was staring at me, wide eyed. "Y-You're crying.."