Epilogue

Joanna's POV

The owls hoot away, the wind continues howling and the trees continue whistling, all unaware of the tragedy that just happened two meters away from them. The world didn't stop the way that one would expect when something happens to them. No, it immediately moves on as if nothing happened.   

However, whereas the world doesn't stop, the same can't be said for some people. More specifically, the same can't be said for Lena, who was sobbing her heart out, her regret and guilt as clear on her face as the sun in July. She's probably wondering where exactly everything went wrong, and what she could've done that could've changed the events of today.

The same can't be said for Riley and Liam, the two who managed to solve the puzzle and get me caught. If only they were ten minutes earlier, they probably could've saved their friend, but they weren't, and they know that, based on the grief-stricken looks on their faces.

The same couldn't be said for me. I smugly thought that I got away with everything; however, here I am, currently handcuffed in the back of a police car with an officer on either side. I was stupid for not planning this more carefully. I got too carried away by the prospect of having someone's life in my hands.

Everything was going exactly according to the plan. Unfortunately, right as the poison finally laced all of her blood and made her take her last breaths, the door broke down, and armed police officers filled the room.

And let me tell you that getting found - in a room in the middle of the woods - with a corpse and poison in a bottle doesn't exactly scream innocence. The next thing I know, I was thrown to the ground and cuffed, but not before seeing one of the policemen - who was checking her pulse - shake his head in sadness.

I knew at that moment that at least this part of my plan went right, but then again, my whole plan failed. After all, here I am in the back of a police car probably on my way to getting charged with endless charges and then getting shipped to jail for the rest of my life.

Too bad that my serial killing slash stalking career came to an end so early. I bet that I would've probably achieved so much more if I didn't stupidly get myself caught.

But I regret absolutely nothing, I'm proud of everything that I've done.

They all deserved it.

...

Lena's POV

Today is the day that we say goodbye to my best friend, Rory. I never really thought that I'd live to see this day, or at least that I'll see this day so soon. Rory always had so much ahead of her, she had countless dreams that she'll never get to achieve.

And I can't help but blame myself for her death. I know that I wasn't the one who injected her with the poison, but a huge part of the blame falls on me. If only I had listened to her, if only I wasn't so selfish and read some of the signs.

However, once again, I only thought of myself, and look where that got me.

What really broke me was when the police showed me the last message Rory received from Joanna, or should I say Sydney - Joanna's real name. Knowing that the only reason she went to the woods in the first place was to protect my secret made me wish that I could turn back time. Maybe then the outcome would be different.

If only I could turn back time, I would shake some sense into her and tell her to choose herself over me for once. She was always my opposite, the selfless girl who would sacrifice anything for the ones she loves, and that makes me so angry at her.

Why didn't you just stop being a hero for once and choose yourself, Rory? If only you had...

If only we were ten minutes earlier, you would've still been alive right now. I still remember that night as if it yesterday. I remember Riley's hysterical sound on the phone telling me that it was all a trap. I remember her exact words.

"Lena, you have to warn Aurora right now that it was all a trap. Blake isn't in the hospital, he was just visiting his mother. S hacked into his phone and made us all think that he was in the hospital. Tell her to not do anything stupid, I'm on my way back, and I'll be there in an hour," she said hurriedly, her words coming up a little jumbled from how fast she was speaking.

I remember searching for Rory everywhere, the idea that she wasn't lying to me finally dawning on me. However, I couldn't find her, and that's when my heart fell. I asked Liam - who I saw talking with Rory many times - to help me, but we both came up empty-handed.

I knew at that moment that I messed up so badly. I knew that if anything happened to her, there would be no one to blame but me.

When Lena finally arrived, she made us sneak into the office to find who the occupant of room 99 was, so imagine our surprise when it turned out to be a girl who looks strikingly similar to Joanna. Well, it was Liam who made that observation, but we quickly saw the resemblance as well.

We broke into her current room, and it turns out that it was her lair. Everything she ever did or planned on doing was in that room. And as soon as we saw her plans for the night, we immediately called the police and headed towards the woods.

The rest is history.

Yes, we did manage to find out who Alexis's killer was, but it was too late because now she's both Aurora's and Alexis's killer. We had already lost another soul to this disgusting monster, and let me tell you that I'll never forgive her, nor will I ever forgive myself. I hate myself for my ignorance and selfishness.

I deserve to suffer for the rest of my life.

Rory, the girl who every newspaper talked about for her bravery under many different headlines that all have the same meaning:

"Aurora, the girl who died as a hero in search for the truth."

Rory, I am sorry for everything that I've done, I know it's not enough, but I'm still sorry. I promise you that you'll never be forgotten.

The world with you in it was one that's filled with happiness, but the world after you will be filled with nothing but regret and sadness.

I want you to know that anyone who knew you, even if only from the surface, will never be the same again. Without you, we can only be shells of who we used to be.

Farewell, my friend, and may we meet again.

THE END

And...that's a wrap! 

*Screams loudly with happiness....and a little bit of sadness as well*

First of all, I would like to thank each and every person, even if it's just one person, who stuck with me till the end. I know that I'm not the best writer out there, but I also do know that writing make me happy, and that's all the matters to me.

Secondly, please let me know what you think, even if you're going to use only one word because I care about knowing what YOU think.

Also, please don't forget to vote if you liked the story.

Till the next story (which I'll hopefully get the idea for and be able to write soon.)