Chapter 17

"How long are they going to keep us trapped in here like animals?" Lena asks rhetorically for the hundredth time today, and let me tell you that I'm not exaggerating.

I'm far beyond the point of trying to answer her never-ending questions because she's just too far gone into her thoughts. Whenever she enters that state, I leave her alone until she calms down and stops her crazy pacing and asking.

I truly get why she's so mad right now. We've literally been prisoners in our small dorm room for the past three days, and we haven't even been allowed to peek our heads outside the door to see what's been going on.

This has been nerve-racking for me since I haven't exactly been able to sleep after that cute little message that I received. After reading it, I was scared out of my mind because I truly felt as if I had someone watching me all the time, and I probably did. How else could that crazy person know that we were looking out of the window at that time?

I was also really nervous, hoping that the code won't get lifted, as I hadn't had the slightest idea about what I would do then. Should I really give up the journal, even if I hadn't read it all yet? And believe me when I say that I was desperate to continue reading it after that half entry in the woods, but that's not easy doing that when you're stuck in a tiny room with your roommate, who's bored out of her mind in addition to being a naturally curious person.

Also, how do I know that the crazy person would actually leave me alone as soon as I give in and give them the journal they want? Upon reading the first entry, they would know that I know too much and would probably want to get rid of me the way they got rid of Alexis.

So to sum things up, I'm in too deep whether I give the journal or not. But what helped calm me down a little was knowing that I still have time to think over what I'll be doing. I was pretty sure that the woods are going to be off-limits to the students now that there's a crime scene in there.

I am also hoping that the crazy person wouldn't want to risk getting caught with a dead girl's diary. But what I was sure of was that I would never give up the journal without reading and photocopying every word written in there.

"Also, I've been searching the internet like a crazy person every second, and I haven't found one website talking about a teenager's body being found on her university's campus. How is that possible?"

"What did you expect? They didn't talk about her disappearance. Remember how we accidentally found about what happened to her?" I reply, bothered by the fact that this university is hiding too many things from us.

"But still. Kidnapping is different than murder. They found her dead body on campus. How does one shut down something like that? Besides-" she continues, going on about how there's something fishy going on in this university.

Ping

Tuning Lena out, I pick up my phone while knowing exactly that this message is from Joanna, or Anna as she liked to be called. We have become good friends ever since I joined the art club, and I was glad that even when we weren't seeing each other every day, we were still keeping in touch.

Anna: Have you watched the new episode yet?

Me: No! I haven't had a chance yet. Who knew that we would still have to submit essays while in code black?

Anna: You have to watch it asap. I need someone to talk to about the episode. So much has happened!

Me: Give me two hours, and I'll be ranting to you about it.

Anna: Deal, but if you're not done watching it by then, I'll have to rethink our friendship ;)

"What are you smiling at?" Lena asks curiously.