Chapter 18

"The coroner's report states that a blunt force to the head killed her, and then, the murderer buried her body near the lake trying to cover up their tracks."

By now, there were a lot of murmurs traveling around the place, and the sobs of the students could be heard loudly in every direction. Also, the principal's harsh way of wording wasn't helping anyone.

As for me, I felt myself go pale. I'm not going to lie, I knew deep down that the body they found was that of Alexis's, and the note I got confirmed that. However, a small part of me was hoping that it was someone else, and not her because now, I was in possession of a dead girl's diary, and I had a crazy person on my back.

It wasn't only about having the diary, I felt sad, really sad. Knowing that a girl's life was robbed away from her just like that for some psycho's personal pleasure made anger brew in me tremendously. How could someone selfishly take away someone's life? Even if Alexis was a bad person, which I don't think she was, she still didn't deserve that.

"That report officially makes this a murder investigation, and since her body was found in the woods, all the woods have become a crime scene, and so all of the students are prohibited from entering them. Any student found there will face immediate expulsion and might be charged with temperance with evidence.

"From now on, there will be police officers around the campus at all times, and they will be monitoring the students' behavior as well as questioning all the students, except freshmen. The university will also be offering counseling to anyone who needs it.

"In addition to that, we will also increase the amount of security because whoever has done this is a student or a member of the staff here. Also, all the former students who studied here last year will be questioned by the police.

"I want to inform you that the family of the victim has stated clearly that they don't want the news of finding the body to be leaked to the media, and they threatened to sue anyone who tells any person outside this campus about what happened.

"Most importantly, our heart goes out to the family of the victim and every person that knew her personally. Alex was a bright student, who had so much to look forward to in her life. She was smart and kind, she was friendly, she was talented, and those who didn't get a chance to know her missed out on a lot, and that's why she will always be remembered by all of us.

"So please, if you have any information - even if you think that it's not important - make sure to tell any of the officers present on campus. It's crucial that we catch the killer and bring justice to Alex and her family.

"Alex's parents have not yet set a date for the funeral, but we will keep you updated as soon as they do. The university will also offer transportation to and from the funeral. Also, as of Wednesday, code black will be lifted. However, all the clubs and activities have been canceled, and the off-campus curfew will be seven pm until further notice. I want to remind you that this is for your own safety. Another new rule is that if you're not in a lecture or with one of the counselors, we expect you to be in your dorm. Any student who's found outside their dorm without an excuse will face serious consequences.

"One last thing, since the university's board decided that code black will be lifted three days from now, freshmen are allowed to go home during those three days if you want, provided that you inform us of how you're going and on which day you're coming back. You guys are free to go now."

By now, almost no one was listening to the principal anymore, they were all trying to discretely whisper while simultaneously looking at Alexis's friends wanting to see their reaction.

"Well, this wasn't what I was expecting when I came here." A familiar voice said into my ear from my right.

Jumping slightly, I quickly snap my neck in the direction where the sound came from, and I should've realized that there's only one person who always appears next to me out of nowhere.