Chapter Nineteen: The Hunt

I overslept the next morning, exhausted from the vigorous and exciting night I’d had with Derek. Despite the fact that we were most definitely back together, I’d decided to stay in my house with Mike and Kyle, who I knew had missed me while I’d been gone; I’d definitely missed them. When I crawled into my room at three o’clock in the morning, Michael had already been asleep (thank God!) so I’d been spared having to stammer out some lame excuse while being given the disappointed-brother glare. I was so tired and worn out that I slept right through my alarm, and didn’t wake up until nearly seven thirty.

“Oh shit,” I mumbled as I scrambled out of bed, my bare feet hitting the carpet as I hurried around my room, throwing on some black jeans, a gray and white tie-dyed cutout top, and black combat boots. I added some product to my hair and brushed on a little makeup before giving my outfit one last look. Scrutinizing myself in the mirror, I realized I’d stopped wearing such bright colors and crazy patterns. I looked more like…Derek? I am NOT one of those girls who change their appearance for their boyfriend. Uh uh. No way. But when I went to put on my pink jeans, something just didn’t feel right. I felt uncomfortable and childish in my outlandishly bright pants, like trying to wear one of your old Hello Kitty shirts as a fashionable top. It just felt wrong.

“I guess you’ve just grown up, Christina. Deal with it,” I said to myself before grabbing my backpack and hastening to get to school on time.

            “A bestiary?” I repeated in disbelief when Stiles and Scott told me of their plan with Allison to get her grandfather’s book. We were sitting on the stairs right before last period, and although Allison couldn’t sit with us, Stiles was secretly streaming the whole conversation to her via phone call.

“It’s the only way we can learn anything about the kanima; the only chance we have of defeating it,” Scott said earnestly, and staring into his eyes, I knew Scott felt like he personally had to stop this monster from taking its next victim. Like it was his duty. And, as usual, I couldn’t let him take on that responsibility alone.

“Okay, what do I have to do?” I sighed, leaning forward as Scott and Stiles grinned excitedly.

“You have to get the bestiary.”

***                                                      ***                                                      ***

            When the end of the day finally rolled around, I was lying on my back in the janitor’s closet with my shirt off while Derek kissed hungrily along my collarbone and all over my chest. A moan of pleasure escaped my lips as his mouth lingered closer to my breasts, tenderly kissing the soft spot in the crevice between my boobs. I arched my back in desire, pushing my overly-heated body closer to Derek’s. Our ragged breathing and my breathy moans were the only sounds in the dark closet, besides the occasional footsteps and muted voices outside in the hallway. I wasn’t technically skipping class, considering the fact that the three o’clock bell had already rung, but I was supposed to be somewhere in 30 minutes, which only made our stolen make out session that much hotter. Derek’s hands stroked along my back, his fingertips leaving tingles all over my skin. My hands, tangled in his thick hair, slid down the sides of his face and ran lightly over his muscular chest. I gasped when Derek’s hand slid down lower, playfully squeezing my butt and massaging my thighs. I giggled, digging my fingernails into Derek’s shoulders when his fingers slipped into more intimate places on my body.

“Derek,” I moaned so quietly it was almost a breath. He didn’t take his lips off mine for even half a second, instead moving his fingers around in such a way that I almost screamed out loud.