Chapter Thirteen: Full Moon

“Hey Allison,” I said when Scott’s (now-secret) girlfriend plopped down onto the bleachers beside me. It was pretty cold out, and so I was wearing a purple knee-length sweater dress over gray knit leggings and motorcycle boots. I’d been watching the lacrosse practice since school ended, and Scott had been acting really weird. Like, playing goalie, tackling and sniffing every guy on the team, weird. I figured it must have something to do with the full moon, or the hunters, or something else equally werewolf-y.

“What’s he doing?” Allison asked me, but I just shrugged; I really had no idea what was up with my friend. I’ve really lost touch with Scott and Stiles…we’re hanging out soon, I promised myself. Suddenly, three police officers strolled onto the field, looking like they meant business. They stopped to talk to Coach Finstock, and appeared to be asking him some questions. When Coach pointed at one of the players on the field, the police held up a megaphone and shouted “Isaac Lahey!” I gasped when I realized they were arresting him; they handcuffed Isaac and escorted him off the field. What?!

“What the hell?!” I cried, jumping to my feet. Did they think Isaac was responsible for the death of his father? Did Derek know about this?

“Wow,” Allison said beside me, stunned. I sat down, running a hand through my hair. Did Isaac do it? I mean, he is a werewolf now…Wracked with worry, I said a quick goodbye to Allison and ran to my motorcycle in the parking lot, hopping on and speeding over to Derek’s place.

“Derek?” I yelled, banging on his door. My breath was coming in short gasps as my mind wondered over the prospect that Isaac Lahey might be a cold-blooded killer. This can’t be happening. I mean, Isaac’s my lab partner. He’s no murderer. Right? Oh my gosh.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Derek asked, opening the door. I stood there, shivering, just staring at my boyfriend for a few minutes. I wasn’t sure what I’d planned on saying to Derek, exactly, and now that I was here my emotions felt like they were strapped onto a rollercoaster. I shoved past Derek, and collapsed on his couch with my head in my hands. What am I doing?

“Chris, talk to me, sweetie. What’s wrong?” I felt the couch dip where Derek sat down, and his hand wrap around mine. Like I’d been shocked, I yanked my hand away from his; if Isaac had killed his father, it was only because Derek had turned him. Derek had killed Mr. Lahey and ruined Isaac’s life in one fell swoop. I was suddenly terrified and full of disgust; I couldn’t stand to even see Derek’s face for one more second. He’s a killer. He ruins people’s lives.

“How could you?!” I shrieked, jumping to my feet and glaring hard at Derek, who was looking bewildered and shocked. He stood up as well, reaching out to comfort me, but I stumbled backwards out of his reach. I needed to get out of there. This can’t be happening.

“Chris, I don’t know what you’re talking about. What did I do?” Derek shouted after me, but I was already out the door and running for my bike. Unfortunately, I should’ve known it wouldn’t be that simple; I felt Derek’s arms wrap around me, holding me tightly in place like a straightjacket.

“Let-go-of-me!” I struggled to break loose, but his bulging muscles vastly overpowered mine, and I finally burst into tears. It was just too much to handle.

“Chris, please tell me what’s wrong. I don’t even know why you’re upset!” Derek pulled away from me, giving me space to talk. I figured that I at least owed him that- the right to know what he’d done wrong. I brushed my hair back, away from my wet face, and took a few deep breaths to get my gasping under control.

“Y-you turned Isaac…and now his father’s dead. He’s dead, Derek. And Isaac killed him.” It sounded even worse out loud than it did in my head.