Chapter Nine: Narrow Escape

Dedicated to Miafrescas for begging me to update! :D thanksss

A grin spread across my face before I could stop it; seeing Derek and Scott working together made my heart warm, and gave me hope that maybe Derek was back to normal. This hope was bolstered by the fact that as soon as Derek was free, he came rushing over to wear I lay crumpled on the ground, fastening his large hands around the chains and pulling them free with ease.

“Are you okay? Chris, I’m so sorry,” he said under his breath while he snapped the handcuffs off my wrists and lifted me up into his arms. The gashes on my shoulder throbbed as if reminding me of the violence I’d suffered today and my vision swam and grew blurry when Derek lifted me up. Suddenly my stomach cramped and I had about three seconds to lean over the tight vice of my boyfriend’s arm around my chest before I threw up the entire contents of my stomach, narrowly missing his pants and shoes. Derek immediately set me back down again, gathering my hair back away from my face and rubbing my back soothingly.

“Shh, it’s okay, it’s all gonna be okay. You’re okay, Chris, you’re fine, I’ve got you,” he mumbled nonsensical little things quietly to help calm me down, and it did. When I was done, my whole body felt weak and woozy, and I leaned right back into the comforting circle of Derek’s arms.

“Derek, we’ve gotta move quickly, before Kate comes back.” Scott had a look of concern on his face, and when Derek passed him, my best friend reached out and ran a hand along my cheek. “Don’t worry, I’m right here, Chris. Everything’s gonna be okay.”

I wasn’t concerned about my wellbeing – I was more preoccupied with what Derek and Scott were going to do about Peter. Before I could voice my concerns about their plan, however, Derek pressed his lips against my temple.

“Get some rest, Chris. I’ll still be here when you wake up.” I looked up into Derek’s green eyes, so full of warmth and anxiety about my current condition.

“Promise?” This all felt like a dream to me; the kidnapping, the abrupt change in Derek’s demeanor, even the werewolf-ness was a little unreal at times, despite how thrilled I was to be living out the life of any female protagonist in any one of my supernatural TV shows.

“Without a doubt.” That was all it took to release the tension from my aching body, and within seconds I was fading fast.

***                                                                  ***                                                      ***

When I woke up, the first thing I saw was a decrepit, blackened ceiling and cobwebs spun around each corner. I must be in the old Hale house, I thought immediately, sitting up and blinking several times to adjust to my surroundings. A heavy ball of disappointment welled up in my chest when I realized Derek wasn’t anywhere to be seen. He broke his promise. I pushed myself to my feet, a fresh wave of anger and hurt washing through me and spurring me on to go find my boyfriend and tell him just how much I appreciated being ditched. But then I heard a loud yell from outside, and it sounded like Derek.

“Scott, go!” I changed direction, weaving my way through the hallways and down the stairs, bursting out the front door just in time to see Kate Argent put a bullet through my boyfriend’s leg.

“Derek!” I screeched, running down the last few steps and over to Derek.

“Well, look who it is! Don’t move or I’ll shoot him again,” Kate snarled, her voice deadly serious. I skidded to a stop only a few feet away from Derek, my hands going up in the air. Satisfied that I wouldn’t pull anything, Kate turned her attention to Allison.