Chapter Seven: Training

A/N: Kyle Laymen is portrayed by Logan Lerman (he's really just perfect for the part!) 

************************************************************************************

           When I walked into school an hour and a half late (thanks a bunch, Derek!), Stiles and Scott immediately grabbed me, pulled me into the boys bathroom and got me caught up on what had been happening with them while I’d been in Boyfriend-Romance-Kissy World (Stiles’ words, not mine. I preferred to think of it as the honeymoon period of our relationship.) Although I’d already heard part of the story from Derek, Scott informed me of how Derek was planning on training him – which meant no distractions. Which meant no Allison. This, of course, got me stressing about us. I mean, if Derek told Scott he couldn’t see Allison did that mean I couldn’t see him for the same reason? Needless to say, I left the bathroom in a state of worry and inner turmoil. Was I just a distraction to Derek? I decided to send him a text during English, hoping he’d respond before lunch. I needed to see Derek in person, to just reassure myself that I was just doing the typical girlfriend overreacting thing.

Can we talk?

Sure. I’ll pick u up for lunch?

Sounds perfect.

I sat through two more agonizing hours of class, waiting and clock-watching impatiently. The minute the bell rang in Chem, I was out of my seat and racing through the halls to get to my locker. When I got there, Scott was already leaning against it, apparently waiting for me.

“Do you know what Stiles is planning? He said he was gonna help me train,” Scott asked while I twisted my lock and opened my locker.

I shook my head. “I haven’t spoken to him since math. Sorry.” Scott sighed, still looking closely at me. I dumped all my books into my locker and slammed it shut, turning to face my best friend.

“You seem happy, Chris. I know I’m not the biggest supporter of you and Derek, but if he makes you happy then it’s okay with me.” I was shocked – Scott was first on the list of the people who didn’t approve of my relationship with Derek, and I hadn’t expected him to change his mind. Ever. But it seemed that we’d turned over a new leaf now that Derek was helping him control his werewolf side. I leaned forward and hugged Scott tightly, saying “Thank you” in his ear quietly. Then I broke away and said goodbye, running down the hall and out the main entrance. I stood on the steps, searching for Derek’s black Camaro. Just then, he pulled up right in front of the school, the passenger window down and his beautiful, sunglasses-wearing face grinning at me from the driver’s seat. I scampered down the stairs and slid into the car, leaning over to kiss him quickly on the cheek.

“Hey, Chris,” Derek said, smiling. I buckled up, also letting my happiness show on my face.

“Hey.” We drove straight to our favorite restaurant, and I was silent the whole way, not wanting to tell Derek why I wanted to talk to him. What if it made him see me differently? As an insecure needy possessive girlfriend?

“What can I get you, miss?” the guy across the counter asked me, and I walked down the line, adding brown rice, black beans, steak, corn, shredded cheese and guacamole to my burrito bowl. Derek slid mine onto the metal tray next to his and went to the cashier to pay. I’d tried many times to pay for my own food when we went out together, but he never let me (even going so far as to lock me in the ladies room once when we were at Raku, getting sushi). I piled two fountain drink cups onto the tray and carried it to a little two-seater table in the corner, by a window. The thing I loved so much about Chipotle (apart from the food) was the seating arrangement. There were big booths for large parties, bar stools and window seats for loners, and various little tables for dates and such.