Chapter Thirty-Six: Fury

After school that Friday, Derek and I were at the movies when Scott called, sufficiently interrupting the romantic atmosphere. I waited patiently while Derek exited the theater to talk, but when he came rushing back in, grabbed my arm and his jacket and practically carried me out of there, my alarm-o-meter started rising.

“Derek, what’s wrong?” I asked worriedly, struggling to buckle my seatbelt while Derek’s fingers fumbled to do the same thing. “I got it, I got it.”

“Scott and Stiles are with the Sheriff…err, the old Sheriff at the station…they think they know who’s controlling the kanima,” Derek said tensely, getting behind the wheel and speeding out of the parking lot. We whizzed down the streets, pulling up in front of the police station within minutes; one of the benefits of living in a small town was that everything was only a couple minutes’ drive away. Derek grabbed my hand and together we crept up to the front door; there was no sign of Scott or Stiles, or anybody for that matter. Derek pried the door open carefully, and we entered the station cautiously.

“Wait here,” Derek whispered to me, stalking forward to scope out the lobby before motioning for me to join him. Suddenly I realized something was wrong – where were all the night guards? Derek said Scott and Stiles came in through the back with Stiles’ dad so they wouldn't encounter any police attendants. 

“Derek…,” I warned, but before I could voice my suspicions, Jackson burst out from behind the closed door that Derek had just knocked on and attacked him. Derek put up a good fight, landing a punch on Jackson, who was grotesquely half-transformed, but somehow Jackson managed to whip his claws around Derek’s neck and paralyze him. I screamed, jumping back, and found myself caught in the warm, familiar embrace of…Scott?

“Scott…Derek…!”

“It’s okay, Chris, calm down. We’ve got this under control,” he murmured to me, but the panic in his eyes told a different story. Derek lay paralyzed on the ground in front of us, and Stiles and his dad stood behind me and Scott; Jackson was on the other side of Derek’s body, standing blank-eyed but coiled dangerously, as if waiting for further instructions. Then Matt stepped out from the hallway to approach us, and I couldn’t help but gasp.

“Matt? What’re you doing here?”

“Haven’t you figured it out yet, Christina? I’m the kanima’s master,” he answered, his voice full of confidence and intimidation. This wasn’t the Matt I knew – the loser who always helped me study for Trig, or didn’t tell Mr. Maztec when I erased my answers and copied his in class so I’d get full credit; this guy in front of me meant business, I could sense it. Danger rolled off him in dark, angry waves, and he was glaring at Scott with such hate in his eyes I almost flinched.

“N-no, no…surely not.”

“What’s wrong Christina? Have a hard time believing some nerd like me could actually cause some damage?”

“Of course not! You’re not a nerd,” I stuttered, trying to be convincing but failing miserably. I knew if I didn’t make Matt think I was on his side, we were all as good as dead. Somehow, I knew. And although Derek now lay defenseless on the ground, his eyes were staring straight at me, and I knew was telling me to keep doing what I was doing.

“Oh, please. You barely give me a second glance in Trig, even though I let you copy off of me all the time. You know I actually thought we were friends, Chris? Ha, I know. I was delusional,” Matt retorted, stepping closer to me dauntingly. Like he was attached to Matt by a string, Jackson also moved forward until the two of them stood just off to the side of Derek. My breath was coming in short, sparse gasps and my heart was pounding so hard I could hear it reverberate in my skull. Oh God, we’re all gonna die.