Chapter Thirty-Nine: Surprise

I drove back to the house in a state of utter shock and disbelief. Somewhere in the back of my head I knew I was crying, but I couldn't really process it. I couldn't really process anything. Me. Christina Elise Laymen. Pregnant. At sixteen. My mom's gonna kill me! And what do I tell Derek? What do I do about the baby? Do I get an abortion? Do I keep it? Just thinking about getting an abortion sent a torrent of sobs through me, and I shuddered involuntarily. I wasn't against abortion like some people were, but I knew I could never be responsible for ending my baby's life. So that option was off the table. Adoption? I didn't know what Derek would think of that. Pulling into the driveway, I saw the front door fly open and Derek and Isaac come running out. Quickly I wiped the tears away so Derek wouldn't be able to tell that I was crying. 

"Chris! Chris, dear God, where were you?" Derek exclaimed, flinging open the car door and pulling me into his arms. Without meaning to, I let out a squeal and covered my stomach with my hands protectively, instinctively. Luckily, Derek didn't notice, being too busy burying his face in my hair and telling me how worried he was.

"I just ran out to CVS for the basics. I figured if we're going to be here a while I might as well get food and deodorant and stuff," I laughed it off, breaking away from Derek and following him and Isaac inside with all the bags. I really had purchased the necessities while I'd been at CVS – milk, fruit, vegetables, yogurt, meat, bread, toilet paper, and a bunch of DVDs. Anything we might need. As Erica, Isaac, and Boyd unpacked it all, I took Derek's arm and drew him aside. The secret was already eating away inside of me, and I had to tell Derek soon or I'd die from the guilt.

"Can we go to our room? There's something I need to tell you."

"Of course; are you feeling okay? You did throw up just an hour ago," Derek pointed out as we climbed the stairs, walked down the hallway, and then sat down side by side on the bed. I turned to face him, pulling my legs up crisscross-applesauce style and taking a deep breath.

"Derek, I'm pregnant," I blurted suddenly, without beating around the bush. Damn why did it just come out like that? I'd meant to start by explaining how I'd noticed my missed period earlier, taken the pregnancy test at CVS, and just figured it out. Instead I sprung it on my boyfriend without any forewarning, and his face clearly showed some sort of strong reaction. I couldn't tell if it was surprise, anger, sadness...

"W-what, really? How do you know?"

"I figured it out right after I threw up, and that's why I took off for CVS. I took a pregnancy test, Derek, and it was positive. That means I'm probably like two weeks pregnant-"

"You're on your third week of being pregnant," Derek interrupted me, placing his hands around mine and squeezing. "The last time we, uh, you know, without protection was that Saturday after my birthday."

Oh right. We'd been so caught up in enjoying each other that after a while we'd stopped being so careful, and of course, that was when I'd gotten pregnant. I'm like the poster child for unsafe sex equals teen pregnancy.

"Okay, um...so I'm glad you're taking this so well," I said hesitantly, expecting Derek to blow up and go all Angry Alpha on me, but instead I think he looked close to tears.

"Chris, I love you. You know that. So for you to tell me we're having a baby together, while it's inconvenient for our situation and going to be a lot of work, is still the second best thing that's ever happened to me. The first being meeting you, of course."

"Well aren't you sweet," I chuckled softly, looking at Derek's warm green eyes. His words rang with sincerity, and it sent a tingly warm sensation through my chest.