Chapter Twenty-Three: New Leaf

I spent the rest of the morning dodging calls from Scott, Stiles and Allison, eventually just deciding to turn my phone off. I couldn’t handle talking to any of them yet; I had to decide how I was going to tell them I was siding with Derek on all this. It was going to be the ultimate betrayal, I knew, but what Stiles had done had really opened up my eyes and allowed me to see my life in a new perspective. I didn’t belong with my old friends anymore, and it was time for me to move on, with Derek and Isaac and Erica and even Boyd. After showering and doing some homework, I felt like I was wasting away my Saturday doing menial tasks and tried to come up with something exciting to do, besides bringing water and chips down to my friends. Derek and the pack were locked away in the basement while he trained them to fight the kanima (and the Argents), and no matter how many times I begged for them to come do something with me, Derek was adamant about working them until they literally were exhausted. Needless to say, we made dinner plans for the two of us but I was left to my own devices for six hours until then. After spending twenty minutes watching half of a Vampire Diaries episode, I finally made myself just grab my keys and go for a ride. I didn’t have a destination in mind but I just needed to get out of the house. As I was about to leave, it occurred to me there was somebody I could call to hang out with and talk to about all this, somebody who was neutral.

Hey, u busy right now? I sent the text to Alice, hoping that she wasn’t busy slutting it up with some guy or something. To my surprise and delight, she responded almost immediately.

Nopee. Wanna hang?

Yes plz!

Meet me at 159 Gutner St

Wats there?

Ull see ;)

I ran upstairs to change into some real clothes, throwing on a pair of black leggings, a plain purple off-the-shoulder knit top, and some black boots. Then I grabbed my purse and leather jacket and hurried downstairs to tell Derek I was leaving. When I jogged down the steps, Erica and Boyd were mock-fighting, with Derek stopping them every so often to correct them or teach them a new move. I watched for a second, transfixed by the sexiness of Derek’s teaching; it still hit me occasionally, how perfect Derek was. After last night you’d think my opinion of him would’ve decreased, but instead I respected and loved him even more. He’d had the courage to do what none of us had been able to accept; eliminate someone who was a threat to the town, even if it meant killing a young girl. He’d been brave, but not ruthless, and the minute my life had been in danger, he’d backed off. And even though I’d been trying to thwart him and had been so quick to hate him, Derek had still saved me from Stiles and welcomed me back into his arms without hesitation. That was true love.

“Hey, I’m going out to meet a friend. I’ll be back well before seven, I promise,” I said, skipping over to Derek and the pack. Erica and Boyd stopped fighting long enough to offer me “Have fun,” but then continued with their training. Although things weren’t perfect between us, Erica and I were trying to mend our relationship, one conversation at a time. I genuinely liked her and wanted us to be friends again, especially now that I was ostracized from all my other ones.

“Okay, have fun,” Derek replied, drawing me in for a hug. I flinched away, squealing, when his sweaty chest came near my black leather jacket. Derek grinned, putting a hand on my shoulder and leaning forward to kiss me on the cheek instead. His stubble scratched against my face, and I ran a hand through his damp hair, breathing in his scent. Derek pulled back and stared into my eyes for a second, just soaking in my features before he let me go.

“Don’t have too much fun without me,” I sang flippantly, skipping past Isaac who offered me a wave and said goodbye, too. “See you guys later.”