Slytherin

"SLYTHERIN!" The sorting hat yelled and I felt my blood run cold. It can't be.

I stood up and walked towards the Slytherin table and glanced at my twin brother and our new friend Sirius Black. James had slight tears in his eyes as both of us expected to be sorted into Gryffindor.

"James Potter" he walked up and put on the hat closing his eyes.

"GRYFFINDOR" he sighed in relief. He glanced at me and I smiled slightly at him.

"I'm sorry" i mouthed at him.

"It's okay" he mouthed back and sat down at his table.

"Sirius Black"

"GRYFFINDOR"

"Lily Evans"

"GRYFFINDOR"

"Remus Lupin"

"GRYFFINDOR"

"Peter Pettigrew"

"GRYFFINDOR"

"Severus Snape"

"SLYTHERIN"

...

"First year Slytherins follow me" two fifth years escorted us out of the Great Hall and we left for our common rooms. I looked at James who gave me an understanding nod from his table and was also escorted to his common room. "My name's Lucius Malfoy and I'll be your prefect for this year. This is Narcissa Black and she's also your prefect. Try and keep up please, the dungeons are a maze."

Merlin help me.

•Great Hall•

I walked into the Great Hall after receiving my schedule from my Head of House and started to head towards my table.

"Jade! Over here" I looked and there stood my brother with Sirius and two more boys. I smiled slightly tense and walked over to the Gryffindor table. "Have breakfast with us"

"You don't mind that I'm a Slytherin?" I asked gesturing to my uniform.

"You may be a Slytherin, but you're still my sister" I smiled and sat down across from him. "You've already met Sirius so there's no need for introductions there. These two are Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew. I met them in the dorms last night."

"Nice to meet you both" I smiled at them and served myself some breakfast.

"So Jade, what's your schedule?" I handed James my schedule and he took out his too. "Awesome, we have almost the same classes. The only exception is Charms which you take with the Ravenclaws. We even have the same free period" I smiled at this.

"That's amazing James." I said.

"Anyways. Jade, who are your prefects?" Remus asked.

"Lucius Malfoy and Narcissa Black" I saw Sirius tense. "Sirius everything okay?"

"Huh? Yeah. Cissy's my cousin. That's all" he looked down and started to play with his food. "In my defense, she's the nicest. Never one to start an argument and always there to help. You have a good prefect, Jade" he smiled slightly while talking of his cousin but was still tense.

"Who are your prefects guys?" I decided to change the subject of Narcissa and Sirius looked at me in thanks. I nodded and looked at James.

"A Weasley and I forgot the name of the girl. But she was really nice too" James said and we all stood up and made our way for our first class which was Potions.

...

"I'm telling you Jade, that Snape guy looks like bad news"

"James, you're just saying that because he's a Slytherin" I rolled my eyes.

"It's not that. You're a Slytherin and I don't think less of you" James rolled his eyes also.

"Yeah, but I'm your twin. You're not allowed to think less of me. Mum will kill you if you do." I shrugged and walked towards the library. "You coming?"

"I'll pass. I'm going to hang out with Sirius" and with that he left. I sighed and entered the library.

"Hello Remus" he looked up from his homework and smiled.

"Hi Jade. You're not with James?"

"Nope. He wanted to hang with Sirius" I sat down across from him and took his parchment and read it. "It's wrong. Alihotsy Draught causes hysterical laughter, not crying." I handed Remus his parchment and leaned back on my chair.

"Really? Peter said it was uncontrollable crying" He raised his eyebrow but fixed his mistake nonetheless.

"He's wrong. It causes hysterical laughing." I shrugged and handed him my notes from potions. "Here. I think these will help."

"I thought James was stealing your quill during class"

"He was. But I always carry a spare or two. Being related to him means that you always have to be prepared."

He laughed and started to copy off my notes and after a while he finished his homework.

"Thanks Jade."

"No problem. Wanna go sit by the courtyard? I need help with the Charms homework and I like the fresh air."

"Sure!" We grabbed our stuff and left for the courtyard.

•Courtyard•

Remus and I were sitting by a tree and doing our homework when all of a sudden, I saw James and Sirius in a corner and playing gobstones.

"Im not letting them copy off my homework. Especially James"

"You two are nothing alike, are you?" Remus laughed.

"I'm the quiet and cunning twin. James is the obnoxious and daring one. I plan and he executes. It's been like that since I could remember." I shrugged and looked at my brother. "Looks like he lost at gobstones again. He never was a good player"

"Cunning Huh?" I nodded. "Now I get why you were sorted into Slytherin" he laughed and I laughed with him.

"Maybe so. But I feel like the odd one of the family. A family full of Gryffindors and I'm the first Slytherin. I just hope that James isn't doing this because he has to." I mumbled the last part and looked at my Charms book.

"So what? It doesn't matter to James not to us. And from the looks of it, he's doing it because he wants to. It doesn't matter who we are or where we're sorted." Remus said smiling at me. "Wanna play gobstones with these two?"

"You know it. HEY JAMES! MOVE OVER. WE WANNA PLAY" Remus and I ran towards the two boys.

"Weren't you two in the library?" Sirius asked.

"Already finished this week's homework. And no James, you are not copying my homework" I glared at my twin.

"Oh come on, Jade. Just this once"

"No. Now scoot over, you never learned how to play" and with that the four of us spent the rest of our afternoon playing gobstones with Peter eventually joining us.

This could be amazing.

(Edited: July 9, 2021)