part xvi - christmas with the gryffindors (2)

As Tom and Y/n entered the living room, Elisa excitedly wrapped one arm around her husband as the other clutched a diamond necklace. She showered him with kisses, uttering a soft 'thank you' in between each one.

Once Malcolm took notice of Tom and Y/n standing by the doorway, he chuckled nervously and set Elisa aside, her legs still draped across his lap.

Y/n couldn't help but smile at the sight of her parents. Ever since they had formally adopted her, they've been Y/n's epitome of love. There was no doubt that even after all their tribulations, the Gryffindors loved each other dearly.

Tom, on the other hand, felt a pit in his stomach. He wasn't sure whether it was jealousy or disgust that was making him feel like this, but either way, he absolutely despied watching the couple swoon over each other.

"Tom, Y/n, come over and sit with us." Elisa waved towards the seating area around the fireplace. With only one medium-sized armchair left, Tom quickly sat down in it, taking up any space left to share with Y/n. The girl groaned in annoyance before defeatedly taking a seat on the carpet across from him, wrapping her arms around her knees to keep warm.

"Oh Y/n, since you're next to the tree already, do you mind grabbing Tom's gift?" Elisa motioned towards the thin package that was placed next to Y/n, a small red ribbon tied around the card which read 'Tom'.

"A gift?" Tom asked as his eyebrows raised. Y/n, who was just as surprised and uniformed as Tom, grabbed the package and handed it to him before returning to her seat.

Tom held the gift in his hands, confused. He wasn't sure why the Gryffindors were being so kind to him, especially since they already went through so much to provide him a temporary home.

"I can't accept this. It's too much." Tom urged as he held the gift out to Elisa.

"No, I insist- open it at least."

Tom undid the ribbon and wrapping paper to reveal a small wooden picture frame. Inside, a photo that was taken his first night at the mansion. He was standing beside the minister who had his hand rested on his shoulder, smiling proudly. Next to Tom was Y/n, who was smiling awkwardly in her childlike dress.

"Thank you," Tom said under his breath, a slight grin growing onto his face. Y/n could tell he was ecstatic, but she couldn't exactly understand why, and she probably would never find out why.

Tom would never admit it, but this was Tom's first-ever Christmas gift.

--

Y/n was already 3 eggnogs in.

Her parents- nearly 8. Neither of them was really sure how much alcohol the elves had put in the drink, but at this point, they didn't mind.

Y/n had seen Tom taking a view sips now and then, but she really couldn't tell if he was as drunk as they were. For the most part, Tom was silent and mostly observed the family as they laughed about vacations, weird relatives, and other inside jokes Tom couldn't possibly understand.

Once the laughter had died down, Tom finally spoke up.

"So Gryffindor," He eyed Y/n, making it clear which Gryffindor he was referring to. "I'm curious. Why did you transfer to Hogwarts?"

Y/n was slightly taken aback; Tom never had been the type to really ask her about her family or life, and she didn't think he cared unless it provided useful information to him.

Elisa and Malcolm also had an uneasy look on their faces as they eyed each other nervously. When neither parent said anything, Y/n spoke for them instead.