part x - the other side

"I could ask you the same thing."

He rolled his eyes and placed his book back down on the table next to him, his eyes locked on y/n's. 

"How did you discover this place? I thought I was the only one who knew about it."

"I'm not sure, I kind of just discovered it on my first day. What is this place anyway?"

"I call it the 'Come and Go' Room. It adapts to fit the needs of those who open it..." He trailed off, taking in his surroundings. "This is my study."

"That's strange, the room looked exactly like this when I came here alone. Does that mean our needs are the same?"

"Not sure." He scratched his chin, his eyes furrowed in deep concentration. Before anyone could speak again, music suddenly began to play from the record player in the corner. 

"Sorry, the record player does that every so often- you know this song, right?"

"Holberg Suite? I heard it when I first arrived here-"

Then the music suddenly began to grow stronger, overtaking everything in the room. Y/n began to cover her ears as Tom's eyebrows furrowed. 

The moment their eyes connected the tingling sensation she had first felt when she saw Tom at the sorting ceremony erupted within her, consuming every nerve in her body. Tom seemed to feel it too, even if he tried his best not to show it. He stumbled back, grabbing onto the ledge of the fireplace as his face contorted into an annoyed frown. 

"Can you turn that music off it's unbearable!" Y/n called out to him, her voice quickly drowned by the booming sound of the cello. 

"Silencio!" He shouted as a bright beam of light erupted from his wand and towards the record player. But his charm rendered useless as the music only seemed to grow stronger. 

"You idiot- what have you done?" Y/n scowled at him. Before Tom could respond back, the mirror on the other side of the room shattered, the glass dispersing all over the floor in front of it. The moment the glass had broke, the music ceased along with the tingling sensation. 

The two stopped, their hearts beating quickly out of their chests. Y/n peered up at Tom, who recomposed himself and tried to put on an unfazed look. 

"D-do you know what just happened to us?" Y/n uttered, her lungs clearly out of air as she tried to pull herself together.  "By the looks of it this hasn't been your first time experiencing something like this- am I right?"

He reluctantly nodded his head, his eyes falling onto the rings on his fingers as he played with them.

"I've been having moments like these since I was a child," He walked over to the shattered glass, examining the remnants of the mirror. "Strange music and speaking coming from the mirror." He paused and looked back over at Y/n, whose eyes widened in shock. 

"You..." She muttered under her breath, the sudden realization smacking her in the face. "It's been you this whole time- the weird speaking sounds- it was you?"

He nodded his head affirmingly. "It has. I had my suspicions when you came to Hogwarts, but still, this is a pleasant surprise." 

"I would assume you've done your research as well? About our- connection?" Y/n hesitated before saying emotional connection. There was no way in hell she was about to say that to Tom Riddle.

"Yes, our connection is strange. But, I think I have a separate theory for that." 

"Which is?"