part xiii - dinner

The Gryffindor manor was more than just lavish- it was regal, rich, opulent

The inside was flourished with diamond chandeliers, stone staircases that seemed to be carved by the Romans themselves, and archways that loomed over everyone that entered through the magnificent double doors.  

Although his surroundings were unfamiliar, Tom was used to the mansion's extravagant appearance after attending Hogwarts for quite some time. 

The two stood outside the manor wrapped in their jackets and scarves, waiting for y/n's elves to let them in. Their suitcases were already taken by Poppy, y/n's personal house-elf who seemed to already take a liking to Tom. As she retrieved the bags, she looked over a y/n and winked, causing heat to spread across the girl's cheeks. She quickly glanced at Tom who didn't seem to notice but was occupied with Nagini and Bertram, the other elf who had been trying to take the pet from Tom's grasp. The boy resisted and insisted that "the hands of a dim-witted house-elf could never properly take care of pet a delicate as Nagini." 

Bertram, not wanting to get on the boy's bad side, gave in and left. Poppy on the other hand tugged Y/n's arm and leaned in, whispering, "He's sassy. I like him." 

Once the elves had left the two were greeted by Mr. and Mrs. Gryffindor, who welcomed Tom with surprisingly open arms. They pulled Tom into a warm embrace, causing his body to go stiff. 

"Oh, how nice it is to meet you, Tom! Y/n has already owled us all about you!" Malcolm beamed whilst Y/n mentally facepalmed. 

"And look- he's even more handsome in person." Elisa nudged her husband. They seemed to have no regard for their own daughter's embarrassment, as they dragged Tom on a tour of the house and even showed him pictures from Y/n's childhood. 

"Oh and in this picture, Y/n had just thrown up after riding the rollercoaster too many times!" Elisa held out the picture in front of him despite Y/n's begs for them to stop. Tom nearly smiled at young Y/n; her cheeks were flushed pink and her cheeks were slightly chubby. She had a look of pure innocence and happiness, something that he had never experienced in his own youth.

 Then, Tom turned sour, maybe out of jealously- he wasn't sure. But a sudden feeling of resentment crept into him, and Y/n could sense it. 

To diffuse the tension, she shooed her parents off as she brought Tom to his room, which was down the hall from hers. 

"Are your parents always that insufferable?" Tom spoke as they entered the room. 

"W-what?" Y/n slightly gasped at his rudeness. Although she had been thinking the same thing, hearing it from someone else was just off-putting. "I beg your pardon?"

Tom wanted to apologize, but he was stubborn. He stood his ground and repeated the question, "I asked, are they always that irritating?" He paused for a moment before quietly muttering, "Of course, what else would I expect from a family like yours."