~ Chapter 5 ~

Clarke's POV

"O! It's so good to see you here again!" I saw Octavia next to her locker after those three days. She smiled as I stood next to her and pulled me in for a hug.

"Hey, Klorkie!" She showed her fist. The cuts were almost unnoticeable. "Look. It's almost healed."

I nodded. "You used the ointment my mom gave you."

"Yeah. It's amazing."

Octavia closed her locker and we started walking to our first class we had together. Biology.

"You think she'll show up today?" I asked her, curiously. I've been wondering the whole morning about it. From what I heard she was the bad apple of our school. Skipping classes, getting into fights, smoking, riding a motorcycle - overall nothing good.

"Woods? I don't know," Octavia just shrugged in the answer. She certainly didn't care about it as I did. But why did I care about it? It was the first time I talked to her and probably the last. So why was she sitting in my head rent-free? "Maybe?"

We walked into the classroom and took our usual sit. I took out my book and notebook, but it was still a few minutes until the teacher would come. I talked with O through those minutes, till eventually, Mr.Pike grace us with his presence.

I didn't like this teacher. He was mean and arrogant. Never cared about students and was giving a lot of homework. Like he thought that biology will be really important in my future. I get it if some people would want to be a doctor or something like that, but not all of us did. He should let us focus on the periods that would actually have some meaning in my future. Like Math or English or Art.

He put his briefcase on the table and opened it. He took out a right book from it and hung the case on his chair. He stood up and briefly looked at us.

He opened his mouth, probably to start his dull monologue about the next topic, but we heard some noises coming from the corridor.

Irritated by this interruption Pike slowly walked to the door and opened it. He disappeared by the door.

"Um, hello?" we heard his voice asking. It was full of irritation and boredom.

Someone stopped walking. "Good morning, sir," I heard a similar voice, but I couldn't recall where I heard it before.

"What are you doing here, Miss Woods?"

Of course. That's where I heard it. I haven't even realized before that she was in this class.

She spat. "Skipping class. Can't you see?" I could catch a smirk as she spoke.

Everyone here chuckled quietly. I frowned and looked at Octavia. She just shrugged and kept scrolling on her Instagram.

I heard Mr.Pike gasped for air from the shocking line.

"Care to join us, Miss Woods?" His even voice was nowhere to discuss with her any longer. The refusal would be disastrous.

She was silent for a few seconds, but then she started walking and appeared in the door frame. She sat at the only free place. Then Mr.Pike came behind her, closed the door, and sat at his seat again.

His face was angry. He hated when some students were interrupting his classes. He was looking at the sheets of paper for a moment, and then he suddenly stood up and just look at us. The lesson was definitely not going the way he planned it.

"I've got you a big assignment. It's gonna be a project for two months. You may end it at about the beginning of January. It's gonna be in pairs."

I looked at Octavia, and she just nodded, smiling.

"I'm gonna choose pairs for you."

Smiles immediately slipped off of our faces.

"You may ask what is it going to be about. I decided to let you choose the topics. From all that we haven't speak about before."

The class was now agitated. Everyone was wondering with who they'll spend their next two months working with.

"Now. I'll pair you up and this is how we're gonna do it..."

It ended up in the way that half of the class took a seat with one empty next to them, another half stood under one wall. The teacher was reading the name of the person sitting, then the name that was supposed to sit next to the person. Pike always had quite specific ways for-- well, actually for everything.

Few pairs in front of me were already picked. I had my fingers crossed hoping to hear Octavia Blake after mine.

"Clarke Griffin."

Please, be Octavia. Please, be Octavia. Octavia. I closed my eyes in anticipation.

"Lexa Woods."

My mouth opened in shock. Everyone, but not her! My heart started beating faster, my cheeks went red. I looked shocked at Octavia. As I heard the chair next to me moving and her sitting I swallowed.

I haven't heard the rest pairs. It was drowned out like it was just bouncing from my ears before I could understand what he was saying. All was blur.

Finally, when he stopped and sat at his desk I saw that all the students were sitting. O was sitting with some tall boy with long hair and a tattoo on his forehead and nose.

For the first time, I dared to look at Lexa. She was sitting casually on her chair with her legs on the table, she was texting with some Anya on her phone. I opened my mouth in shock, looked at the teacher but he was just writing something not caring about anything.

The project needed to be done, though.

"So... how are we doing this?" I asked. My voice cracked. It sounded so weak like I was sick at least for two weeks.

She looked at me contemptuously and just spat out, smirking.

Till the bell rang Lexa was sitting like this. I started shoving things into my bag as fast as I could, but I was always leaving class as the last person. While I was halfway in my bag Lexa stood up and started walking to the door.

"Woods, wait. Come here," Mr. Pike stopped her. Not satisfied, but she turned around and walked to him. I was almost done. I zipped my bag as he started talking to her. "I just wanted to tell you that you're doing this project with Miss Griffin. This is gonna be seventy percent of your final grade, so you better work with Clarke."

I walked out and headed to my locker.

"Griffin, wait!" Lexa shouted behind me. I didn't stop, though. "Wait!" I just kept walking. "Stop for God's sake!" She caught my arm and harshly turned me to her.

I looked at her scared.

Her arms immediately jumped off of me. "Sorry. I didn't mean to." She tried to smile nicely. It did not look nice. She sighed. "I'm sorry for my past behavior. For my disgust looks. That I called you a 'bitch'. And probably many different things I've done."

I tried to take her seriously, I tried my patience with her.

"Are you apologizing to me so that I'd do our project for you?"

She looked at her feet and slightly smiled. "I get why you think that."

"Do you? Cause I've heard many things about you, and believe me when I say it wasn't anything good."

"I see my reputation has overtaken me," she nodded and smiled playfully. "Look," she got more serious. "I understand the way you see me. But, believe me, or not, I want to do this project. And I want to do it together."

I thought for a moment. "Fine. Tomorrow, 12 a.m., at Trikru."

Back then I didn't realize where this decision was taking me. How much it was going to change my life in any possible way. Yet, I'd make it again, then again. But was the one year worth such pain and heartbreak after it'd end?