Chapter 17 Coming to America

The following morning, Remus and Sirius made their way to the Ministry to apply for an International Portkey to America. They informed the clerk that they were going on holiday in America so as not to raise suspicion. Sirius was grateful to Dumbledore for getting him out of Azkaban, but he knew the older man was lying about the Dursleys accepting Evie into their home. He knew that Petunia was always jealous of Lily and that there was no way that she would have taken the child unless Dumbledore had threatened her.

Remus and Sirius had also talked the night before about Dumbledore's timing upon getting Sirius released. Why had it taken the Great Dumbledore so long to figure out that Sirius was innocent? Unless it was to his convenience to have Sirius locked up so that he could be made Evie's magical guardian.

“The only reason he got you out, Padfoot, is because he lost Evie and has no idea where to look for her. And he knows with your bond you'll have an easier time,” Remus told Sirius.

“I think you're right, Moony,” Sirius sighed, “Dumbledore is planning to do something with Evie. And we can't trust him with her.”

“Agreed, Padfoot. So then we're not going to tell him we're going to America to look for her.”

Sirius nodded in agreement.

So, after Sirius and Remus received their International Portkey, they decided to go to Muggle London to buy some Muggle clothes to blend in when they went to New York. After their shopping trip, Remus and Sirius ducked down an alley and activated the Portkey. The portkey was supposed to take them into the heart of the city, but suddenly the two men felt their portkey pulled off course, and they landed instead at the Woolworth Building where MACUSA was located.

When Remus and Sirius landed, they looked around and discovered that they were in the customs area at MACUSA. The was an older gentleman standing there with a clipboard. He sighed when he saw the two wizards, “When is the British Ministry going to learn they cannot send their people wherever they want? Welcome to the United States, gentlemen. My name is Robert Burk. I'll be your immigration liaison while you are here in New York. What brings you to the US?”

Remus and Sirius looked at each other; they had no idea that America was so strict about who they did and did not allow into the country. Remus cleared his throat and addressed Mr. Burk, “Good morning, I'm Remus Lupin, and this is my friend Sirius Black, and the reason for our visit is strictly recreational.”

The minute Remus finished his sentence, an alarm went off, and a red light started flashing, informing Mr. Burk that Remus was lying. Mr. Burk frowned, “You want to try again, Mr. Lupin? And this time, you might want to tell me the real reason you're here.”

Remus's eyes widened in shock, and he looked at Sirius, who had the same expression on his face. The duo had a silent conversation then nodded. Sirius stepped forward to address Mr. Burk, “We're here to look for my goddaughter. Somebody kidnapped her from her home in Surrey.”

Mr. Burk frowned, “When was she kidnapped?”

“A week ago,” Sirius told the man.

Mr. Burk raised an eyebrow, “And you're just now starting to search for her?”

“There were things that had to be settled first before we could begin our search,” Remus informed the immigration agent.

“And how are you related to the child?”

“I'm her godfather, and Remus here is her uncle,” Sirius explained.

Mr. Burk nodded, “Come with me. We have a record of every witch and wizard that enters the country. If she's here, we should be able to tell you where she is.”