Chapter 16 Enter Sirius Black

Back in England, Albus Dumbledore was sitting in his office, preparing for the coming term. He was excited about the term beginning. Seeing his students again always brought him an indescribable joy, and this year was marked a special occasion. It meant one more year until Evelyn Potter would attend Hogwarts. Albus hoped that this year would go by without incident, but he knew that with the Weasley twins starting their second year, it wasn't likely.

Professor Dumbledore was diligently working at his desk when abruptly, an alarm went off on the instruments he had set up on a nearby desk. His eyes widen, and he rushed towards the table. He looked over the tools and noticed that the wards surrounding the Dursley's house had come crashing down. That could only mean one thing. Evelyn Potter was missing and no longer considered number 4 Privet Drive her home.

Professor Dumbledore made his way to his fireplace and threw a handful of floo powder into the fireplace. "Arabella Figg."

The fire roared to life, and he stepped through. The minute he arrived at Mrs. Figg's home, he rushed out of the house and made his way up the street towards the Dursley's. What he found surprised him. The police roped off the entire house, and there were Muggle police swarming the place. A crowd had gathered, and they were all watching with interest. Fearing someone would spot him, Albus disillusioned himself and walked around the group. Still, as he made his way towards the house, he heard one of the neighbors say that the police had arrested the Dursleys for child abuse that the police were in the process of collecting more evidence against them.

"Poor Evelyn, who would have thought that the Dursleys had been abusing her for years," Albus heard one neighbor say.

"I heard that Petunia and Vernon confessed to their crime," Another neighbor added.

"Where is little Evie now," Someone asked.

"No one knows."

Dumbledore bit his lip and left. He had heard all he needed to hear. The savior of the Wizarding World was missing, and he needed to get her back. Albus needed to return to Hogwarts and use his tracking spells to find her. Once the old man was out of sight, he dropped the disillusionment charm and apparated to the gates of Hogwarts. As soon as he arrived, he rushed to his office and checked his tracking spell. To his surprise, the spell was no longer functioning.

"What in Merlin's name is going on? How am I going to find that blasted girl now?"

Dumbledore sat down in his chair and began to think of a way to track down the girl, but for the life of him, he couldn't think of anything. Suddenly his head shot up, "Sirius Black."

Dumbledore stood up and began to pace the floor, "Yes, Sirius should be able to track her down. He's her godfather; there's a special bond between godparents and their godchild. With that bond, Sirius should be able to find her and bring her back from wherever she is."

Albus sighed, "I didn't want to have to get Sirius a trial, but it would appear I have no choice. There is no other choice, but I can't let Sirius go alone to track down Evelyn; he's going to need help."

Dumbledore went to his fireplace and fire called Remus Lupin, "Remus, my boy, could you come to Hogwarts? I need to speak with you about Sirius Black."

A few moments later, Remus stepped through the fire, "Why would you want to talk about that traitorous dog for, Headmaster?"

"I have recently come across some information that may prove Sirius's innocence in the murder of Lily and James. It turns out that Sirius never received a trial and never had a chance to tell his side of the story."

Remus looked at Dumbledore with hopeful eyes, "Do you think there's a chance he could be innocent?"

"We won't know unless he has a trial, but if he is an innocent man has been in Azkaban this entire time. I'm telling you this to see if you wanted to go with me to the Ministry."