Black Strikes

Chapter 11: Sirius Black Strikes

By the end of the week, I was almost completed with all of my make-up work. I was skipping supper, because I wanted to finish my last Transfiguration essay so I could finally be caught up. I scribbled down the last few words, closed my books, and stuffed them all in my bag. As I started making my way up to the tower, I could hear lots of yelling. I quickened my pace. There were people blocking the entire corridor. I shoved my way past the people so that I could see what was happening. It was like de ja vu. When I got to the front, the Fat Lady wasn't in her portrait. The portrait had gashes and pieces of the canvas all over the floor. It looked just like the one in my dream, I paled and almost fainted. I somehow knew this was going to happen.

Soon, Dumbledore was standing next to me. The other teachers came up behind me and I sent frightful looks towards Professor McGonagall and Lupin. I wanted some answers that I knew they wouldn't give me. Peeves was floating in the air, cackling like mad. "You'll be lucky!"

"What do you mean, Peeves?" Dumbledore asked calmly just like he did in my dream.

"Ashamed, your headship, sir. Doesn't want to be seen. She's a horrible mess. Saw her running through the landscape up on the fourth floor, sir, dodging between the trees. "Crying something dreadful." I didn't listen to the rest of the conversation, because I knew what was going to happen already. I heard a collective gasp and I assumed that Peeves told them that it was Sirius Black. Professor Dumbledore didn't hesitate. He sent all of us Gryffindors down to the Great Hall where the rest of the houses joined us later.

"The teachers and I need to do a thorough search of the castle," Professor Dumbledore told them as Professor McGonagall and Flitwick closed all doors into the hall. "I'm afraid that, for your own safety, you will have to spend the night here. I want the prefects to stand guard over the entrances to the hall and I am leaving the Head Boy and Girl in charge. Any disturbance should be reported to me immediately," he added to Percy, who was looking immensely and proud and important. "Send word with one of the ghosts."

He walked towards the doors along with the other teachers. He paused and casually waved his wand and the long tables flew to the edges of the hall and stood themselves against the walls; another wave, and the floor was covered with hundreds of squashy purple sleeping bags.

"Sleep well," said Professor Dumbledore, closing the door behind him.

"Everyone into their sleeping bags!" shouted Percy. "Come on, now, no more talking! Lights out in ten minutes.

I crawled into a sleeping bag next to Lauren who was next to Hermione. Emily crawled next to me. Next was Ginny and then Neville.

"Do you think Black's still in the castle?" asked Emily.

"I don't think so. I have something to tell you guys tomorrow, but right now, I'm kind of tired so I'll tell you tomorrow, okay?"

Emily and Ginny murmured 'Okays' and 'good nights.' Lauren was busy scheming something with Hermione, Ron, and Harry.

Before anyone else even took a breath, I was going into my first sleep without a potion. This ought to be interesting.

*DREAM*

It was cold, dark, windy, and rainy. I had no idea what day it was. I was in the Quidditch pitch. I was all alone. Suddenly, the pitch started to fill with people holding umbrellas and wearing rain robes. After a few minutes, a group of scarlet and gold robes flocked out onto the field, followed by another group of yellow and black. Soon, they were kicking off and the game begun. I was watching Harry and Cedric the most because I had a weird feeling about them.

A thunder storm soon started, making the game twice as dangerous. Harry and Cedric rose so high up, that it was almost impossible for me to see them. Suddenly, a familiar wave of cold swept over me. I shivered and I saw cloaked silhouettes hovering all around the pitch. People were screaming. At first, I thought it was because of the mass amount of the dementors, but I saw people pointing up. Harry was plummeting at a super-fast speed. Just before he crashed to the ground, Dumbledore shouted some sort of spell that slowed him down. He made a softer landing. Next, Dumbledore shouted some spell that made a white phoenix appear that swooped around the stadium and the dementors sped out of the stadium, away from all of the people.

I woke up in a cold sweat. Everyone was still snoring softly in their sleeping bags. A hand touched my shoulder and I jumped. I turned around and saw Professor Dumbledore kneeling towards me. "Come to my office, please." I slid out of my sleeping bag, getting ready to explain my dream, but what I really wanted to know was: What was happening to me?