Chapter 4: Tears

Adam threw punch after punch, smashing his knuckles into Manuel’s face. Manuel’s face turns bright red with blood oozing from his nose, mouth and eyes. I couldn't bare to watch anymore; tears were already flowing down my cheeks. I try my hardest to pull Adam off. He's not budging at all. My Mother and Father are sleeping; I don't want to wake them, especially not my father. Instead I do the only thing I can do. "That’s it, Adam! I’m going with him and there's nothing you can do about it."

It works... Adam stops. He wipes the blood from his bottom lip, stands then looks at me with shock. "Don't fuck me..." 

"I'm serious Adam." My voice is shaky due to the tears. Manuel lies on the ground, back against the floor eyes forced shut by the amount out blows to the face. It breaks my heart to see him like that. Adam walks over to me, then looks straight into my weeping brown eyes. I try as hard as I can to look at him as a brother, rather than a monster. "You better not go with him." 

"And why is that?" I ask pushing him. He has no idea what its like to see someone that you care about get hurt like that. I know I don't love Manuel anymore, but I have once before so the care has never faded.

"Because... I don't want him to hurt you again!"

"He won't hurt me!" I help Manuel back on his feet. He stumbles while walking back to his black lambroghini, I walk back to Adam but Manuel grabs the sleave of my sweater. "Are you really coming?" His voice was scratched and low; I know for a fact that Adam damaged him badly. I nod my head yes and kiss him on the cheek before he steps inside the driver seat. I scowl at Adam while walking back into the house. I head to my room to pick up anything I can find. Underwear, dresses, jackets, shirts, jeans, money, purses, and my phone along with my charger. I stuff everything in a coach duffle bag and walk out the door. Adam followed me the entire time until I step into the car. He grabs me with his bloody fingers, "Rosario I promise you that you're going to regret this... Please." I avoid eye contact with him, and then look at how crushed and broken Manuel is. His eyes. They were overflowing with tears of blood. His nose slightly crocked and his lip 3 times its' actual size. I couldn't bare to look at the pain he must have been suffering right now.

I wipe my tears, "Let’s go Manuel." 

Adam lets go of me and backs away from the car then looks at me one last time before stepping back into the house. Manuel backs out of the driveway and dives on his way to the airport. He's on the freeway but I can tell he's hurt much more that it looks. His eye lids must weigh a ton, one arm is cradling his stomach and the other hand resting on the steering wheel as he's crutched forward. 

"Manuel I think I should take you to the hospital... Let me drive." 

He shakes his head, "No...” His voice was much deeper; he chocked on his words for a moment then squeezed his eyes of pain. His throat. What did Adam do? "Manuel please." I beg him.

He pulls over. We switch seats, both arms now holding his stomach. I put the car in drive then look behind me before driving back into the busy road. "I'm sorry." He scratches. 

"Why? You have no reason to be." I tell him.

"I know you didn't want to come with me... you just couldn't  handle seeing me broken not only physically; but mentally."

I glance over at the floor the lick my lips.. he was right. And I didn't want him to be. "So what. You’re apologizing for my sympathy?"

"I'm apologizing because you’re doing this out of guilt... not Love." He coughs a couple times. I look at him for a moment; his eyes are closed but not tightly.. As a sign of exhaustment. We arrive at a hospital closest to the airport. I hand Manuel over to the nurse; she asks a couple questions and I give her the best answers I can. About 30 minutes pass of chewing my finger nails in the waiting  room the same nurse comes out. She moves the black wavy hair from her face, "He's fine. Just a few miner bruises in the cheeks and nose. Though his throats pretty damaged. You can see him now; just don't let him talk much."