Epilogue

*UNEDITED*

Vera's POV

One Year and Six Months Later

Stretching, I let out a yawn and blink to adjust my eyes to the brightness of the room. Reaching over, I slap my hand on top of the ancient alarm clock that sits flush on a dresser in my old bedroom. I'm home, back home in Long Island, and preparing for the biggest day of my life.

I'm getting married today.

I'm getting married.

The thought runs through my mind over and over again until my concentration is broken by the sound of tiny feet thumping across the wooden floor in the hallway. The door flies open and I cover my head with the blanket, hiding myself from my daughter.

"Mommy!" She squeals, trying her best to hoist herself up on the bed. "Mommy, up!" She laughs and I throw the blanket off the floor and pick her up, gently laying her next to me on the bed. I run my fingers through her tight, blonde curls and kiss her gently on the forehead. She's a spitting image of Luke, but she has my eyes and God, does she have my personality. "Nan made ancakes."

"Grandma made pancakes!? Well c'mon then Jase, let's go eat."

Stepping out of the bed, I scoop Jasey up in my arms before slipping on my flip flops and making my way down the stairs toward the kitchen.

Being home feels so weird- I haven't been here in almost three years, and so much has changed since I left. I met Luke, I made lifelong friends, I got engaged and had Jasey Rae and now, well now I'm marrying my best friend, the love of my life and my lifelong partner in crime.

I place Jasey in her highchair and sit down at the table just as my mother places a steaming cup of coffee in front of me. Smiling, I thank her and put the blue, porcelain mug up to my lips. Next she sets down a dish, piled high with pancakes and I grab one off the top and cut it into tiny pieces for Jasey. Blowing on it so the hot breakfast cools off, I lean over and extend my hand as Jasey takes a bite.

"Mmmmm!" She squeals, clapping her hands together. My mother walks back over to the table, freshly showered and her hair set in rollers. She looks nervous, even more nervous than me, as she drums her fingers on the table. Her eyes are puffy, a clear indication that she's been crying.

"Mom, c'mon. You knew this day would eventually come." I laugh as I bring my coffee cup up to my mouth. Placing it back down onto the table, I pick up a strip of bacon and bring it to my mouth, savoring the saltiness.

"Yes, I knew one day my one and only daughter would be getting married but, not so soon. You're so young Vera and I just want to make sure that-"

"Mother, do not start. You're reminding me too much of dad right now and I don't need the both of you being miserable on what will be one of the, if not the, happiest day of my life. Now, you listen to me. I know that I am barely twenty years old, but I'm confident in my relationship with Luke. I love him, more than anything and I feel complete with him in my life. Yes, we're young but we are not naïve. Look at everything we've been through together and yet here we are, almost three years later with a beautiful baby girl who've made us feel worthy and important. How many couples, grown, older 'adult' couples, can go through what we have and come out stronger than ever? Luke and I share a bond that is unbreakable and I will tell you this for the last time: I am marrying Luke, I love Luke and I'm going to share the rest of my life with Luke, with or without your approval." I sigh, letting out a breath that I didn't even realize I was holding in.

Leaning back into the chair I stretch and turn my head to look at the clock. It's nearly ten am, and the stylist should be coming soon to do my hair and makeup.