ch. 27

• Dedicated to Luke Hemmings

“Can you believe that we’re at prom?!” Lil squeals as she squeezed my hand. We’re waiting at the photo booth that the school has set up on the outside veranda of the hotel where prom is being held. She reaches into a box and pulls out a lime green wig and a pair of red, extremely oversized glasses. Handing me the wig, she smiles and slips the glasses on. They’re even bigger than usual given the small frame of her face. She shrugs her nose and tosses the glass out of the box, instead grabbing another wig and a feathered boa.

“It is a nice feeling. I’m glad you’ve all managed to work together and drag me here.” I say as we sit in the booth. I slid the curtain close and position the wig on my head.

“Thank Luke. He was miserable about you not wanting to go.”

“You’ve talked to Luke?”

“Oh, a text message here and there. But, him and Ash are on Skype literally all the time…”

I laugh and shake my head just as the time for the first picture starts to count down. Lil and I both stick out our tongues, completing the first pose. Lil kisses my cheek as the second countdown begins and I repeat the pose for the third picture. For the fourth and final picture, Lil and I embrace each other in a sloppy hug. The pictures are done by the time we exit the booth and Lil grabs them as I put the props back in the plastic box they were in. Looking up, I notice a blonde blur in the crowd but shake my head and turn back toward Lil. Surely, that couldn’t be Luke. My body is just yearning for him, causing my mind to play tricks.

When Lil and I get back to the table, some sort of salad is being placed in small plates on our table. I take a seat next to Michael, who’s jabbing at the green leafs with his fork. I turn to him and he just tells me to shut up, dressing smeared out of the side of his mouth. I pick up my napkin and dab at the corner of his mouth, causing him to groan.

“I am not a child, Ver.”

“Then stop eating like one!” I laugh, removing my hand from his face. He just laughs and pushes out his chair. Following suit, Calum and Ashton get up as well as follow Michael as he disappears towards to what I assume to be the bathroom. I look at Lil who just shrugs. She seems just as confused as I am about this entire situation.

I pull out my phone, hoping to have some more texts from Luke but there’s none. Sighing, I place my phone back in my purse. Suddenly the lights in the dining area go dim and for some reason, this causes me to move closer to Lil. She seems a bit focused on the make shift stage that some local djing company had set up, which causes me to focus my eyes on it as well. Suddenly, the music stops and a hush of questioning comes from those on the dance floor.

Our Assistant Principal, Mrs. Keene, walks onto the stage. Stopping in front of a microphone stand, she clears her throat. “Sorry to stop the music, kids, but…” Everyone starts to boo the poor old lady and I can’t help but stiff a laugh. She clears her throat again and this time everyone shuts up, “but, we have a surprise here for you all.”

Just then, I see Ashton wheeling a drum set. How the hell does a drum set even get to prom? I don’t have time to think of an answer as Michael walks out with his guitar, followed by Calum and his bass. Michael steps in front of the microphone and starts playing some warm up chords as Calum tunes his guitar and Ashton continuously steps on his foot pedal.

What is going on? I know they still play together in Michael’s garage sometimes but when the fuck did they decide that they were going to be playing at prom? I look at Lil who’s just staring at Ashton, a loving smile on her face.

Together, they start playing a song- one I’ve never heard the music for before. It’s a slow tempo, far slower than I’m used to them playing and they play it long enough for me to wonder when the hell one of them is going to start singing.

“Wait, wait! We can’t do this without a lead singer, I’m sorry guys!” Michael says, waving his hands in the air manically.

Well, no shit Sherlock. If you hadn’t replaced Luke yet, why the hell did you volunteer to play at prom? Calum unplugs his bass from the portable amplifier and Ashton stands up from the drum set. But then, then something happens. Someone walks onto the stage. Someone too fucking familiar and if I wasn’t in shock, I’d storm onto the stage and slap him. This. Sneaky. Bastard.

“No need to do that guys.” Luke says, walking up the microphone. All four of the boys glance my way, smirks on their faces. “We are called Five Seconds of Summer and this song is dedicated to Vera Jennings. It’s called, Beside you.”