prologue

I stop in the middle of the hallway, resting my hands on my knees as I try to catch my breath. I’ve been running for what seems like hours but in reality has been mere minutes.

            I stand up straight and look around. I’ve never been to this place before, yet everything seems eerily familiar. The walls are painted a hideous shade of mustard yellow with white trim. There are doors, way too many doors, each locked with a giant padlock. I couldn’t even attempt to open one of them if I wanted to. I wonder where they lead.

            At the far end of the hall is a window. It’s small and square with a bluish like radiating through it. I gather myself and hurry down the hallway. When I reach the window, I put my hands up to the glass and peak through. There is a man outside, pulling at his salt and pepper hair. He looks up at the window and notices me. When he does, a menacing smile plays on his lips. I don’t recognize him but, something tells me that I should hide from him.

            Before I know it, I hear someone coming up the stairs. I noticed that one of the doors is unlocked and rush over to it.

            Too late.

            The man, whose features for some reason I can’t totally make out, stands in front of it and cackles; it’s sinister sounding. He smiles at me again, licking his lips and I notice that his teeth are nearly as yellow as the walls.

            I scream, but I don’t make a sound. I try to scream louder but no sound comes out of my mouth. I try to move, but I can’t. I’m frozen, paralyzed from fear.

            The stranger brings his hands to my shoulder and violently shakes me. I squeeze my eyes shut, my body not knowing what else to do. When I open them again, his face is gone, replaced by a black mask.

            And then, all at once, everything goes dark.