ch. 17

It's New Year's Eve. It's been a week since the incident with my parents and I've yet to talk to them. I haven't been back to my grandparents either, unable to face them after the humiliating incident. My parents went back home to Long Island immediately after Luke and I left, that much I knew, because I have been talking to my grandmother daily on the phone. Luke has been kind enough to let me stay with him for the last couple of days, and I was actually bummed that it was New Year's because that meant that his parents would be home possibly tomorrow and then I'd have no choice but to go back home.

I was sitting on Lil's bed, in Lil's room, getting ready for the party that Luke planned on throwing later on. I decided to keep it casual, wearing a pair of tight skinny jeans and a low cut, dark red three-quarter sleeve shirt. I've grown accustomed to my short, blonde bob, pushing it back with a black headband. I kept my makeup subtle, just some blush and mascara. I was in no mood to impress anyone tonight. Besides, I didn't have to, Luke actually preferred me without makeup.

Lil was rummaging through her closet in frenzy, mumbling something about finding something hot to wear for Ashton. They've been on a couple of dates and nothing was set in stone yet but, it was so blatantly obvious that the two of them liked each other way more than they led on. 

“This dress okay?” asked, holding up yet another dress from her closet. It was short and looked really tight. It was gold in color, with some glittery accents on top. Where did she think she was going? A club?

Shaking my head, I shrugged “yeah, I guess. Lil, we’re only going to Luke’s house. Why do you have to dress so fancy for?”

“Ashton, obviously.”

“Obviously.” I laughed. “Look, just wear something simple. It’s not like you need to get his attention, you definitely already have it. Just dress sexy but don’t overdo it. You’re not going to a club, we’re not going to Mohegan Sun, you don’t need to wear a dress.”

Lil groaned in frustration, nodding and turning back around to her closet which she rummaged through for another half hour before settling on a pair of pink floral leggings and white cropped t-shirt.

Twenty minutes and four pairs of shoes later, Lil was finally ready. She grabbed her keys off the mantle before we exited her house and braced the wicked, winter weather that we have been having. We pulled out of her driveway and toward the highway. We had to make a stop at Target for some snacks and things of that sort.

“I hope there’s alcohol.” Lil stated as she pushed the wagon down the chip aisle. “I know Ash said he would get some, but Calum told me that his brother always flakes out when it comes to buying liquor for us. Something about not wanting to get in trouble with the law.” She rolled her eyes, annoyed.

I nodded not saying a word. My opinion on alcohol really didn’t matter. If it was there and I wanted some, I would drink it. If I didn’t want to, I wouldn’t. Simple as that really. But after that incident the other night at Luke’s, I’m afraid to bring anything of the sort up to my lips for a taste.

I watch as Lil throws in seventy different variations of chips and dips before making a sharp turn and heading toward the game board aisle.

“How about some adult Jenga?” she asked, wriggling her raised eyebrow. It sounded like fun, but honestly, there were going to be way too many people to sit around and play. So, I shook my head no.

“You’re no fun.” She pouted, putting the game back on the shelf and heading toward the check out.

When we pulled into Luke’s driveway, he was already standing outside. Walking up to the car, he pulled me in for a hug before closing the door for me and grabbing a hold of my hand. Lil had already disappeared inside, most likely looking for Ashton and Luke took this opportunity to crush my lips with his own. Pressing my body close to his, I pray that the night goes fast so Luke and I could be alone.