ch. 24

My dearest Vera,

Ah, so you wanna be old fashioned pen-pals, eh? Well, I guess you’re gonna get your way because there is no way I could ever deny you what you want, baby.

I miss you so fucking much. Sorry for cursing but it was appropriate right now. I’ve been here how long? I don’t even know, all I know is it feels like an eternity and the faster I turn eighteen the faster I can get back to you. Australia is to damn far away from you, away from everything.

I’m sorry it’s taken me a while to write you an actual letter, I’ve just been busy. A good busy so there’s no reason to fret.

I know prom is a couple of weeks away and I hate that I can’t be there. Nothing bothers me more than the fact that I won’t be able to experience one of high school’s most memorable moments with you. But, don’t you dare stop yourself from going just because I’m not there, do you understand? I want you to go. And I want you to have a good time. If you don’t go I will be so mad at you. I mean, I’ll always love you, but I will be mad at you.

Anyway, it’s pretty late here now and the mailing sucks so I’m gonna wrap this letter up and head to the post office because I want you to get this as soon as possible. I promise I’ll write you again soon.

I love you Ver!

Luke.

P.S.- I’ve been working on a new song and cannot wait for you to hear it.

I fold the letter up and place in back in the envelope before placing it in my locker. I stare at the picture of Luke and I that’s taped onto the metal door of my locker. It was taken during one of the boys band practices. I have on pair of pajama pants, one of Luke’s flannels adorns my upper body. My hair is pushed back with a headband and I’m sitting on Luke’s lap, his arms are around my waist and he’s pulling me into his chest. It was such a candid moment but I’m glad that Lil decided to snap the picture with her vintage Polaroid. It makes the picture all the more important to me.

“Vera Jennings…” I hear an all too familiar voice say. Grabbing my copy of The Scarlett Letter, I step back from my locker and gently close the door before fasting my lock shut. I turn around and come face to face with Matt. I haven’t had much interaction with him since the whole Winter Formal incident and I’d very much like to keep it that way. He leans forward, extending his arm and placing his hand on the locker to my right, basically enclosing me in.

“I’m gonna be late for class. What do you want?” I snap as I push him away from me. Rapidly, I make my way down the hall, Matt on my tail. I hear him let out a sigh and then clear his throat.

“I was just wondering if you’ve got a date to prom yet?” He asks as he steps in front of me causing me to come to a halt. Prom is in two weeks and I’ve yet to decide whether or not I want to go. But if I do, it will most definitely not be with Matt. I close my eyes and take a deep breath, clenching my fists because it’s only nine o’clock in the morning and I’ve already had it up to my eyeballs with today.

“I don’t know if you know this, but Luke and I are still together.” I say, once more moving away from him and walking down the hall to English.

“He’s been gone for three months, it’s time you moved on.”

“To scum like you?” I scoff as I make a right and head down the corridor where most AP classes are held. “Plus, Missy and I are kind of friends now and I would’ve do that to her. Even if I found you remotely appealing.”

I’m suddenly brought to a stop when Matt’s hand takes a grasp of my shoulder and pulls me back. He pushes me up against the wall that’s right outside of my AP Literature class and pins me against it. He brings his mouth to my ear; his breath is hot as he opens his mouth to speak.