ch. 20

Hey guys! I just want to let you all know that I'm grateful for all your patience when it comes to this story. I know the updates have been lacking due to some hectic shit going on in my life but I'm glad you've all stuck with me! Enjoy chapter twenty! It's a tear jerker!

It's taking way too long. Way too long for Luke to call me and tell me that he's home. I'm frantically pacing back and forth my bedroom floor, rubbing my temples out of sheer nervousness. I look at the window, the snow is falling the heaviest all day and the brightness of the full, round moon is giving the illusion that it’s mid-afternoon outside. I plop myself on the window seat and clutch onto my cellphone, patiently waiting for Luke’s call.

No sooner than I sit down, the phone vibrates in my hand. However, it’s not Luke, but Ashton who is calling and I can’t help but feel a pang in my stomach, like something is wrong. The only time Ashton ever calls me is when he needs help deciphering Lil, or needs an idea to surprise her with; but even so whenever he calls me, it’s never this late. So with that, I know that something is wrong.

“Hello?” I ask and I know that my voice is a bit shaky.

“You’re sitting down right?” Ashton asks and I nod, even though I know he can’t see me.

“Yes.”

“I don’t know how to tell you this… or where to even start?” He sniffs.

“Ashton are you, are you crying?” I ask and even though I don’t know what’s going on, I feel tears start to prick at my tear ducts.

“Vera, God this is so hard to say…” He takes a long pause and I just want him to get this over with already, “there has been a really bad accident. Luke…”

“I’m on my way.”

“Vera, listen..”

“No, Ashton” I interrupt, “you listen. Luke is my boyfriend and he needs me. I’m on my way.”

“I knew I couldn’t talk you out of it. I’m already outside.”

__

I’m out of Ashton’s car before he even comes to a full stop outside of the ER, barely closing the door behind me. I rush through the doors, and slam my hands onto the desk before letting out a huff. I really need to get back in shape.

“Luke Hemmings. Tall, blonde hair, lip ring…” I bring my hand up to my mouth and point to the spot where Luke is pierced. The old woman at the head of the information desk nods and me and then quickly types something into the computer.

“He’s been admitted to the third floor, room three fifty six. Take the elevators, right down there and then-“

I don’t even give her a chance to finish; I book it toward the stairs, figuring that this is actually faster than the elevator at this point. When I finally reach the stairwell entrance for the third floor, I’m near certain I’ll drop dead of a heart attack. I rest for a few seconds, hands on my knees and my back flushed against the wall, taking in deep breaths. Once I feel a little less weak, I swing the door open and I jog down the hospital hallways, my feet moving faster than my brain is ordering them to. My mind is racing a mile a minute, thinking the worse and putting together all of these possible tragic scenarios. God, why did this have to happen to Luke?

At the far end of the hall, I notice a nursing station and as I approach it, I yell out, “three fifty six!?” and a young nurse, who looks to be a volunteer, nervously points to the room across from her and I breathe out a gigantic sigh of relief when I see a mangled mess of blonde hair. Rushing into the room, I collapse into a chair besides Luke’s bed and grab onto his hands. I let the tears that I’ve been holding in finally spill over, staining my face and the sweatshirt I have on. Suddenly, I come to the realization that I’m in a hospital room when I see all the IV’s and monitors hooked up to Luke, he chest gently rising and falling in slow, steady breaths. His head is bandaged, so is the top of his left eye. His face is black and blue and his lip ring is replaced with stitches.