ch. 3

Luke pulled up to the front of my house after a quick detour to Carvel. I insisted that I didn't want anything but that didn't stop him from handing me a milkshake when he got back into the car. "It's strawberry" he said, handing me the frosty beverage. I nodded. Somehow, Luke knew that strawberry was my favorite.

I unbuckled my seat belt, letting it slowly retract back into the side of the door. Luke put the car in park and turned the radio down a bit.

"Thanks for the ride" I said, nervously. Luke stared at me with his sapphire eyes literally piercing my soul.
"It's not problem. Thanks for tagging along for milkshakes."
"And thanks for buying me one. Even tho I told you I didn't want anything."
"Didn't hear ya complain when you were saying how good it was." He laughed. And boy was it contagious. I laughed along as I studied his face. He was so handsome it hurt.

He brought his hands up to his hand and adjusted his beanie before moving his right hand down to his lip and tugging on the black ring that looped through it.

"Goodnight Luke." I said, opening the door.
"Goodnight, Vera."

I smiled once more before slamming the door shut behind me. I watched Luke as he drove away before heading inside.

My grandparents were in the kitchen, playing a game of cards. I let out a holler that I was home and made my way up the stairs.

Once in my room, I stripped off all the clothes I had worn to the therapy session and threw them into the hamper. I grabbed my pajama shorts that I had left on my bed this morning and shimmied them on, repeating the process with my tank top.

I pulled my hair up into a messy bun before heading into my bathroom. I turned on the water to the sink, letting it hit the correct temperature. I splashed the cool water onto my face, and quickly washed it with some oatmeal and lavender scented soap. I rinsed my face and patted it dry before brushing my teeth and flossing. When I was finished I dried the sink before shutting the light.

I grabbed my phone out of my bag and plopped down onto my bed, plugging my phone into the charger. I readjusted myself and pulled back the covers, getting underneath them and recovering myself. As I turned to switch off my small, bedside table, my phone vibrated.

"Hey, it's Luke."

What in the world? I don't know how he got my number but at the moment I literally did not care. A smile was spread across my face. For the first time in a long time. And it was genuine.

__

It was Sunday evening now, and safe to say that the weekend had gone by way too quickly. I was finishing up some calculus homework when Luke text me. We've been texting quite a bit this weekend and it's nice to finally have someone to talk to. I still don't know how he got my phone number; it couldn't possibly be someone that we went to school with because no one had it. However, I didn't care, because Luke made me feel safe.

I unlocked my phone, causing our conversation to pop up on the screen.

From Luke: fancy some carvel again? my treat ^_^

To Luke: buttttt i have so much calc hw to do :(

From Luke: pweaaaaase veraaaaaaaaaa. c'mon, we won't be long!

To Luke: FINNNNNNNNNNE. I'll be ready in five.

From Luke: already here, kinda knew you'd somehow give in :)

I smiled at the text and slid on my black TOMS. I grabbed my hoodie and headed down the stairs, straight into my grandmother. 

"Whoa, why are you in such a hurry?" she asked, slightly amused.
"Uh, I'm going out with a friend. Just some milkshakes, is that okay? I know there's school tomorrow and all but-"
"Vera, you are seventeen years old. Go live! Just keep in touch, okay? I love you" She handed me a twenty.
"Thanks, I love you too."