Chapter 18

*Rider's POV*

I don't know what drove me to do it. Maybe I just wanted to forget what happened with Riley. Maybe to make myself feel better.

All I knew was I was now in my car heading on a 'date' with Cory. Did I like the kid? Eh, he was alright. Did I like him like I liked Riley? No. I mean..c'mon. He's a freshman and I'm a junior. Even though he was in some of my classes, oh well. Still a freshman.

When I woke up in the hospital, they told me I had a few minor injuries, and that I was free to go. Cory was there waiting for me, and when I saw him, a spark of happiness went through me that someone actually cared about me. But it had disappeared as quickly as it came when I saw the jerk that put me here. His girlfriend apologized to me before I could get at him... he's lucky.

After that, well I just asked Cory if he wanted to go to the movies. Not a date, really. Just a nice outing with a guy I knew nothing about in a new town.

I wasn't looking at him, but I could tell he kept taking glances at me when he thought I wasn't looking.

I gripped my steering wheel tight. Here goes nothing, "So... uh... kid, tell me about yourself."

He moved around in his seat so he was now facing me, "Really?? Okay well, I live with my parents and I like bunnies." He kept talking, but I thought of that. Bunnies. Well Cory kinda looks like a bunny. Haha. How cute. A bunny in my car. "I also love balls of yarn." Okay, now he reminds me of a cat. A bunny-cat thing. "Oh! I like blankets too. When they're warm!" He really is an odd one. "Oh, and I'm gay." He said that one so flatly, that I was taken aback. He was so cheerful about everything else accept that.

"Why do you say it like that?"

"Same reason you kinda dumped your boyfriend in front of the whole school. Homophobic school." His thumbs moved quickly, as if trying to distract him from something.

"Is there another reason?"

He looked up at me for a slight second, but went back to looking oh-so interested in his thumbs. "Nope.."

"Well, where is this movie theater anyways?"

"Uhmmm. It's the next left. What movie do you want to see?"

"I was thinking something scary."

"Oh no, I don't do scary. Can we do something else? Maybe that new movie Home that just came out? It looks OH so cute." He looked over and smiled at me, for the first time he seemed to really open up about a preference of his. But when I saw him smile like that at me I could only think of Riley.

Stop. I need to forget. 

"Hey...Rider. I, uh, I have a question for you."

I looked over at him and he closed up once again. "Yeah, sure kid. Shoot."

"Well for one thing, why do you keep calling me 'kid'? We are almost the same age." 

"I don't really know. Force of habit?" I thought about it for a second. Cory reminded me of a little brother more than anything. I figured that's why but I didn't want to tell him that yet, we just met after all. 

"Also, why did you leave Riley? I mean you seem to really love the guy, Rider. I saw when you came into class today...You looked heart broken. I don't know about him, but whatever he said to you clearly got to you." I gulped as I parked in the space at the movies. I didn't really think he would remember this morning and I didn't really want to recap what just went down this morning. 

"Cory, I know you're just trying to be a good friend but really, I'm fine." I tried my best to fake a smile but that just seemed to make him mad. 

"You aren't fine! You were crying. You're hurt. I need you to open up about this for your own good, okay? Listen, I talked to Riley after what had happened in the closet this morning. Yeah, I knew about it. He was really hurt too and he didn't even know what to do with himself. He was sobbing and walking around talking about what he was going to do and where he was going to go. I asked him what had happened but he was too busy trying to figure out where his car was to pay attention. So, I stopped him, talked to him, and convinced him to stay one more day so that you both could talk. Okay? Okay. So! Despite my feelings for you which you may or may not have noticed by now," He cleared his throat uncomfortably. "I am not going on this date. You are. With Riley." 

He pointed out the car window towards a small diner across the street. There I saw Riley standing under the sign, waiting for me. He was looking down, constantly checking his watch as if he were waiting for a time that would never come. I looked at Cory, I felt my face heat with anger and rage. I was about to go off when all the feelings that happened this morning and I didn't know what to feel anymore. 

Without thinking, I got out of the car and began walking towards Riley all my feelings welling up inside me until I didn't know what to do with them anymore. As soon as I got up to him, I gaped trying to find the words to say.

That's when my fist met his face. And my fist met the pain of punching such a strong man in the face. We both winced and moaned in pain.

"I-I deserved that." He was moving his jaw around with his hand and rubbing the area that was starting to bruise already.

"Yeah, you did. But you also deserve this." 

And I kissed him.

I kissed him with everything I could. All the love. The hate. The pain. I kissed him with all that I had and suddenly, nothing else mattered anymore. I melted into his arms and he melted into mine. Then the rain started, but we didn't care. (Weird, the forecast said clear skies..) 

And then I cried. I collapsed on the pavement and I cried so hard that I didn't feel anymore rain, just my tears falling on my pant legs. Riley held me as I cried, I heard him softly crying into my mop of hair. We needed this. 

And I needed him.

Author's Notes:

Well considering I no longer know how to use bold anymore, I will starting using that handy little indicator. SO who made it this far? I apologize for the 3 years of writers block and the countless times I said I would work on this. I am a student and aspiring to be in college soon so bare with me. So here it is, Chapter 18. I hope it was everything you guys have been dreaming of for the past 3 years. I hope to keep working on this piece because I really do love this story, it's progression, and all of my lovely fans. By the way, I have really matured in 3 years so expect more sophisticated writing and better romantic scenes. Also, if any of you would like to accompany me on the creation and redirection of this story PLEASE feel free to inbox me any ideas you have. It will improve the speed of updates and quality of my work. Plus, you could see your ideas of this book turn into a reality! Thank you all for sticking by me for so long and I hope to update real soon......maybe another chapter tonight? Stay tuned to find out. 

I love you all so much and I cannot thank you enough. 

-Lauren :)

Please vote, share, and comment on my work if you like it and feel free to message me. I love hearing from my fans. Also, maybe if this gets 10 votes in the next hour...another chapter. :)