Chapter 23: Adora

The first thing I feel is a warm body pressed up against mine. A chest rising and falling with every sleepy breath and an arm draped around my waist. I smile. I carefully turn around; making sure not to wake her up.

Her head rests on my chest now; a blush creeps up my neck.

She nestles more into my hoodie. My face feels a lot warmer.

"Mmm, fluffy." She mumbles.

It takes all of my willpower to suppress a burst of obnoxious laughter.

She repositions herself; her leg now wrapped against my waist and her hips pressed to mine.

There is no doubt that my face is a million shades brighter.

I stroke her hair and prepare for the awkward conversation that is destined to happen when she wakes up.

It suddenly feels really...warm in here.

Damn, can I not gay panic for like one second?

Her grasp around my waist tightens.

And if it's even possible she pulls me closer.

I gulp.

She stirs and her eyes flutter open. She looks up at me.

"Adora?"

Her mismatched eyes stare into mine. And I don't know if it's the way that she looks at me, my gay panicking, the heat of her hips pressed to mine or maybe even all of the above but I'm dying to have her lips on mine.

She looks down at her leg. And her face turns rosy.

"Oh uh, sorry!" She says; removing her leg from my waist and moving a little farther away from me.

I rub the back of my neck.

"It's fine. It was actually...kind of nice." Her eyes widen and her nervous expression changes into a soft smile.

She cocks an eyebrow.

"Going soft on me, Princess?" I smirk.

"Heh, in your dreams."

I playfully shove her and she chuckles; picking up a pillow and hitting me with it.

"Oh, it's on!" I say; hitting the side of her face with a pillow. She laughs and then hits me back. I hit her with a little more force. She stumbles a little and then hits me with even more force.

"Woah!" I stumble back and fall off of the bed followed by a loud thud!

Catra leans over the edge of the bed.

"You okay, Adora?" I decide to mess with her. I narrow my eyes.

"I-I see a light." Her eyes widen and she jumps off of the bed and sits on top of me. I close my eyes.

"Adora, DO NOT go towards the light!" I keep my eyes closed, trying to look as lifeless as possible; my flushed face isn't helping.

She cups my face.

"A-Adora?" Her voice breaks a little.

I open my eyes and bolt up. She shrieks and jumps off of my lap; her eyes filled with horror.

"Why would you do that?" At this point I'm laughing so hard I can barely breathe. She punches me in the arm.

"You scared the hell out of me!" I feel weight on me and my laughter dies in my throat as I realize that once again, she is on top of me.

She clutches her belly and laughs. And then she stops; her eyes go wide as she looks down at me.

My face feels like it is on fire. I notice that color brightens her face as well. She lowers her face to mine.

"Hey, Adora," I swear if my face turns gets any hotter, I might burst into flames. She chuckles at my flustered face.

Her gaze lowers down to my lips. She smirks.

And then it's quiet. And she locks her alluring eyes with mine.

We stay still; not moving forward, not moving back...just stuck waiting for one another to make the first move.

She starts to lean in; my heart skips a beat. I missed this. I missed us.

She rests her forehead against mine. But there is something in her eyes, something that's holding her back.

Maybe...maybe I was wrong...maybe she doesn't want me the same way that I want her.

"Are you guys okay?! I heard a thud."

Catra gets off of me and mutters "Damn it, Sparkles."

She smiles at me and helps me up.

Glimmer crosses her arms over her chest and gives us a mischievous grin. She cocks an eyebrow.

"Was I interrupting something?" My face brightens. I rub my neck.

"No! No! You weren't interrupting anything! We were just...having a pillow fight." Glimmer rolls her eyes.

"Mhm, suuuuuure." I feel my face grow brighter.

"T-that's all it was." She laughs.

"Well, sorry to interrupt that "pillow fight" but dinner is ready." She takes one last look at us and then leaves, closing the door behind her.

"Well that was awkward," Catra says; I nod and try to calm my flustered face and racing heart.

She takes my hand and laces her fingers with mine.

She goes ahead of me and turns the doorknob.

"Catra." She turns around and smiles.

"Yeah, Adora?" I rub my neck.

"Thanks for...everything. Last night was really hard and I really needed somebody to talk to." Her eyes meet mine. She searches my face. She offers me a smile, but instead of her normally giddy smile, it's small and sad.

"Of course...isn't that what friends are for?"

Hey guys! I hope that you are doing well. I'm sorry if this chapter wasn't great or hard to understand. Today has been pretty busy, but I wanted to give you all a chapter for Turkey day.

Have an amazing day or night and remember that you are important, loved, and you MATTER.

Love you all!

-Ally Rutson