Chapter 17: Adora

The next few weeks were...how can I put them...hard as hell. After the incident Catra had to away for quite some time.

I haven't been allowed to see her for the past 3 weeks. And that has been torture. Luckily, Glimmer keeps me informed.

Another week and she can get out. Another week and I can see her.

My body colliding with water that chills me to the bone. Seeing a blurred image of a lifeless body; floating gracefully in the harsh river. Clutching her chilled body to my warm chest. Screaming her name, shaking her, anything, anything to wake her up!
"Catra, wake up!"

I am brought back to reality by a harsh slap that sends me falling backwards onto my butt. I clutch my cheek and wince. Tears blur my vision.

"Did you hear anything that I said, Adora?" She hisses my name like a curse word.

I stand to my feet; anger boils my blood at a million degrees. I clench my fists. I'm so done with her.
"Do it again." My tone takes us both aback. And I know that there is no turning back now, so I stand my ground.

"What did you say to me?" I feel warmth rush to my face. I'm so pissed. She's can't continue to hurt me like this...I won't let her.

"Lay a hand on me one more time! I-I..." Whatever I was going to say trails off and I burst into tears. She reaches her hand out and I back away.

I rush upstairs and slam my door. I rummage through my drawers. And then rush to my small bathroom; packing everything that I can fit into my backpack.

I choke back a sob as I take a pamphlet out of my dresser...one that has been sitting there for 2 years.

I rush back downstairs to find Miss.Weaver standing there. A beer in hand and a dumbfounded expression printed onto her face.

I set the pamphlet down onto the counter and turn back to face her.

"I'm sorry but...I can't stay here anymore." I look back at the pamphlet and sigh.

"Just please...try and get help okay?" She looks down at the Pamphlet, an ad for AA meetings and counseling.

She sniffles and nods. And I almost drop my bag and forget the whole thing. I almost rush into her waiting arms.

But no, I've made that mistake too many times and it always ends the same way.

"Goodbye, Miss.Weaver."

"Hey, I'm sorry it's so late but...something happened and I kinda...need a place to stay." I feel my breath hitch as I wait for their answer.

"Sure thing, Darling! Let me know when you get here." I sniffle.

"Thank you so much."

I try to ignore the weird stares that I get on the bus. I'm sure it's because of the huge bruise on my cheek. Or my disoriented appearance.

I finally make it to my destination.

"Come on in." I walk into DT's humongous house. I set my things down in the living room and turn around to face them.

They open their arms. "Bring it in." I rush towards them and hug them with such a force they almost fall back.

And I let it out, not all of it of course. But enough to wear the large lump of pain in my throat disappears.

"Let it all out." They stroke my hair and hug me back tight.

I want to be alone and tear away at myself, scream as loud as I can until I can't even breathe. There is so much that I need to get out. So, many years of anger, sadness, and being unwanted, feeling unloved, I wish I could get rid of it all. Move past it and be happy again.