Chapter 8-Set up

Wow! I have been gone forever or so it seems to me. Here is a holiday gift to all of my readers and loyal fans. In the coming weeks I hope to be able to do some major writing, but we will see how it plays out. Please enjoy this chapter and comment.

=================================================================

Chapter 8

In the next three months, Rhetta had many uncomfortable confrontations with her soon to be ex-husband. He carefully schemed to find her when she would manage to be away from the watchful eyes of all of the firemen. He accosted her at many places; the grocery market, clothing stores, and even the pharmacy once when she was there to get her father’s blood pressure medication. He was never rough with her due to it being always in the public eye, but nevertheless the threats were always present in his menacing stance, his staunch words that she could see him barely containing his rage with her. He wanted her back and he wanted her back now. The divorce was going to be a difficult and messy affair of that fact she was fully aware.

Things with Alessandro had been weird to say the least. It was almost as if he wanted to talk with her, but he refused to make a move on it. She always caught the side glances he would take at her when he thought she was not looking his way. This confused her greatly in that the last time they were alone together she felt that he had taken an interest in her and more than a friendly manner that the other firemen treated her with. In those three months she did note that he had a strong work ethic, he cared deeply about other people, he was generous to a fault with children, and he never spoke of his family or life before coming to her small town.

Rhetta’s POV

“Rhett, you got a minute, honey?” Dad asked in a soft tone of voice. Crap! He only uses that tone of voice when he wants me to do something I am not going to like. As I followed him into his office I noticed Terry sitting on the old green fake-leather couch in Dad’s office.

“Sure Dad what’s going on?” I asked wearily as I took in the look on Terry’s face.

“We are worried about you sweetheart,” Dad started.

“Why?” I asked.

“Honey, Brian spent no time in jail for what he did to you due to lack of evidence,” Dad spat the last words out like he didn’t believe them any more than I did.

“I know Dad but really I have seen him a time or two since and he has not tried to kidnap me again. He just begs me back in his own way,” I said half lying about only seeing Brian a time or two. Since he almost seems to stalk me anytime he is not at work.

“Don’t you think you should try to move on though sweetheart? You haven’t even so much as mentioned going on a date,” Dad retorted. Ah, so that’s where this is going.

“Dad it has been only three months. Three months I think I can take my time and just try not to jump into another relationship so soon,” I said all of this while thinking I know one man I would jump right in with. That is just a dream though. It just felt so powerful of a connection when he whispered into my face that night. Ugh! What did Dad just say?

“So? Just this once and then the old man will feel better,” Dad said.

“What?” I had to ask since I was in Lessandro Land.

“One date honey and Terry and I already set it up,” Dad said looking at Terry with pride while I scowled her way. At least she had the shame to be red in the face about interfering in my life.

“Fine, one and only one got it,” I said sternly. “Then we hear no more about this ever again.”

“Sure yeah sure honey, you got it,” Dad said while Terry smiled so wide I thought it would crack her make-up.

Two days later…

                “Rhetta, Lance is here darling,” Terry said as she came into my room. Her eyes widened as she took in my appearance.

                “Sweetheart, you look absolutely stunning. Lance will fall over at the sight of you,” she gushed as I rolled my eyes.

                “I wasn’t sure what to wear since this is a blind date and I have yet to speak to the guy,” I said as I looked down at my attire. Since my separation from Brian, I had lost some weight and I bought some new clothes to make me feel better and this dress was one of my riskier choices. It is the little black dress every single girl must have at her disposal for cases such as this; a blind date. The dress clung to my every curve and accentuated my bust, making it look larger than it was. That alone gave me a boost to my confidence. Plus the spike heels I wore with it made me much taller making me feel almost invincible. At first, I was furious and almost cancelled this date, but then I thought I might as well have fun with it. Terry left me to finish my make-up and hair.

                Walking out of the apartment area and into the firehouse I expected to hear the catcalls begin but there were none to my relief. As my heels clicked across the floor the lone person sweeping the floor looked up to my approach. It was Alessandro. His jaw dropped as well as the broom he had in hand. In three powerful strides he was standing in front of me. His eyes were roaming over every inch of me, but it was exciting instead of off putting. To say that he was pleased with what he saw would be a gross understatement. His large hand reached to my face and his thumb took hold of my chin with a feather-light touch. Alessandro’s head began to slowly approach mine. My insides were getting very tingly at the thought of his kiss. As our lips were nearing one another’s his hands wove through my hair and he pulled me the rest of the way to him closing the gap in between our lips and bodies. When his lips touched mine the most powerful emotions and sensations shot out here and there throughout my body. We were so into the onslaught of the physical attack of one another that we did not hear someone approach us. The clearing of a throat had us both jumping apart. Due to my heels I nearly fell on my butt, fortunately Alessandro caught me.

“Excuse me, sweeping the lady off her feet are ya?” Taylor said with amusement clear in his eye as well as his words. Alessandro righted me and stood ramrod straight blocking me from Taylor’s view.

“And if I am?” Alessandro challenged.

“I would say that’s great but if you hurt her I will kill you. I won’t let her go through that again and I won’t lose her again as my friend either,” Taylor stated as if he were talking about how nice the weather is out.

“Understood,” Alessandro replied. Both men seem to visibly relax. But what did Alessandro mean by understood? Is he offering to want to be with me and even submit to Taylor’s demands?

“Rhetta, your date is here,” Dad yelled from his office.

“Date?” Taylor and Alessandro said at the same time.

================================================================

Well? comments, constructive criticism???? Thanks for reading <3