Chapter 6- Close Calls

This chapter is dedicated to my 600th fan MissNovel9!

=====================================================

Chapter 6

Limping down the gravel road I went as fast as my twisted up ankle would allow as I drug it behind. Getting tired I eventually had to pull myself in the forest behind a bush and some trees to rest hoping that he doesn’t find me.  It wasn’t long before I heard a car speeding down the gravel road. Trying to keep hidden I peeked around and watched Brian’s car speed away. Relief washed over me like never before. My whole body just relaxed and I felt so sleepy but I know that if I stay here he will eventually find me. I have to make it out of our long gravel driveway before he comes back looking for me. Even though the terrain is rough I think I have a better chance in the forest than walking on the road. It may take even longer with this ankle going through the woods but it is less of a chance of him catching me.

I would be able to hobble forward for about ten minutes before I would have to take a break and rest for just as much time. Finally, I made it out to the pavement and was relieved when I seen a truck coming my way. Since it was now getting dark I had to hop out onto the middle of the highway to stop the truck. The headlights were shining into my face blinding me but it did stop before it hit e so my luck is turning around at least. Or so I thought. As the man got out of the truck I recognized his face to be Brian’s brother James.

“What the hell are you doing out here on the damn road?” he asked with his eyebrow raised.

“My car broke down and I twisted my ankle and I have to get to town so I can get supper for Brian or he will be angry with me,” I lied as calmly as I could manage in my panicked state and kept my head down the whole time.

“Well hurry the hell up and I will drop you off but you’re on your own to get your ass back here,” he said hatefully. The entire time I was getting into his truck I was praying to God that Brian wouldn’t call him on his cell phone and tell him that I had ran.

“So what happened I thought Brian said you left,” he asked.

“You know your brother wouldn’t actually let me leave,” I said in a soft downtrodden tone.

“Yeah I guess not,” he said laughing. I wanted to poke his eyes out for laughing at such a situation. Just then his phone rang he looked at it and said, “Hey, it’s lover boy right now.”

“Please let me answer it he is going to be so mad if he is home,” I say not even having to fake looking scared. He shrugged and handed me the phone.

“Brian it’s Rhetta,” I say meekly into the phone keeping it pressed as close to my ear as possible so James can’t hear the words his brother will say.

“What the hell are you doing with my brother?” he screamed.

“He is taking me to town right now because my car broke down and I know you don’t like to wait on dinner,” I say.

“Give him the phone,” he says in that calm, cold and collected voice that means I am in big trouble.

“Yes honey I will be home as soon as I can. I will tell him. I love you too,” I lie into the phone and while hanging it up I press the volume down button until it goes to silent mode.

“Brian said to tell you that he is going to be in a meeting and you won’t be able to get him for at least an hour,” I lie once again with a straight face. James shrugged his shoulders as he pulled into the grocer car park. Jumping out being careful of my ankle I thank him as he pulls away quickly. Making my way into the store one of the employees stops me before I make it in. Hearing squealing tires I look across the parking lot to see Brian’s car pulling into a spot. He is glaring at me and if I am not smart about this he will kill me for sure.

“Ma’am?” the young guy asks.

“Oh, I’m sorry I have possible broken my ankle do you think you could help me in the store and call an ambulance for me?” I ask. The guy immediately pushes the carts out of his hands that he was pushing into the store to assist me. As he is walking me into the store I look over my shoulder to see Brian looking murderously angry. Soon an ambulance as well as a police cruiser pulls into the parking lot. Seeing the police car Brian quickly left the car park.  

The police man was asking me questions about how I hurt my ankle I guess the manager called the police in case of legal liability on the store’s behalf. After relaying the story to the police officer they sent out an APB for Brian’s car.

Dad soon heard about it because he was at the scene within minutes of the police and ambulance. The EMT said my ankle was not broken but I could have a small hairline fracture and I would have to keep my weight off of it for at least two weeks. After Dad showed up he told the EMT that the ambulance could go because he could wrap my ankle himself. I noticed that Alessandro was with him.

“Al, can you wrap her ankle while I go have a chat with the officer?” Dad asked Alessandro.

“Yeah, chief no problem,” Alessandro said as he took the ace bandage and began to roll it onto my leg and around my foot. His hands seemed to linger on my exposed skin each time he would wrap the bandage around. I have had many a sprained ankle in my past I Dad always wrapped them super fast and was finished in no time. Once he secured the bandage with the shiny metal clips he held my foot as he looked into my eyes.

“All done. You had all of us worried you know,” he said as he released my foot and stood. Making me look up and realize just how tall he is. Before I knew what was going on he had me in his arms carrying me like a child setting me in the fire truck. He even went so far as to buckle my safety belt. As he snapped the belt his hand smoothed its way across the part of the belt on my lower abdomen causing sheer heat to shoot through my body. Looking up in shock at his touch he winked at me and went to the front of the truck and got in his seat. I heard the metal on metal snap of his safety belt.

============================================================

Al seems to be breaking the chief's rules all over the place:) please comment