vii. rivals

"I can't believe we're actually here!" Daryah breathed, eyes shining with wonder as the crowd of mer flooded out of the submarine. Callie gazed at it in awe.

It was magnificent. It was made up of shimmering stone that shifting from a soft silver to pure white, in the sunlight, and was shaped into a tall, opulent castle-like academy, tall, elegant spiraling white towers, daintily peaked smooth gray roofs of intricately patterned metal, and tall, Grecian styled golden pillars, delicate, pink tinged roses, likely rose gold, carved along the sides. There was an intricately carved, alloyed white marble fountain bubbling in the courtyard, glittering opalescent substance of kaleidoscope colors shooting beautifully out, overlayering one another gently into soft ripples that melted into the fountains sides, tiny bubbles bobbing on the surface. There were beautiful statues of famous mer, each detail careful and precise, made out of impassive bronze tinted metal, and smooth, glimmering pearl embedded limestone benches, forming an alluring swirling pattern.

The sand was soft and white, rare and exquisite sea plants gently swaying in the soft ocean current, surrounding the school in beautiful arranged, verdant groups that enhanced the stunning scape around.

The sunlight filtered through the waters, directly above the school, creating a gorgeous and vibrant rainbow effect over the academy. It looked angelic.

"Whoa," Kailani said in a small voice. "It's prettier in person!"

Daryah was grinning with happiness. "I love it!"

Callie saw Jadelyn Mistlecore swimming alone, her face with a slightly pinched expression as her pretty hazelnut eyes roved the crowd of students. Callie soon lost sight of the girl, only seeing a ruby red tail disappear. She frowned.

"Hey, you know how you said that there's only 20 ancient families left, Darry?" Callie whispered to Daryah.

"Uh huh. What about it, Cals?"

"Well, my question is, if those were like the first merpeople or whatever, then why isn't every one of ancient blood? Merpeople can't even go onto land without dying! With the weird exception of me. So they can't really mate with humans. So how are most of them not ancient blooded?"

"Oh," Daryah said, red braiding bobbing on her shoulders.

"You see, some mer fell in love with other human-like sea creatures, like sea nymphs, who live in water but don't have any powers other than being gifted to guard a certain part. Or, selkies, who can turn into seals. Things like that. Most ancient blooded are much more adept and skilled with magic, being original. So, most of the ancient look down upon half-breeds, thinking we are mutations and impure of blood."

"Oh," Callie nodded. "I see."

"Yeah," Daryah said. "My great-great-great-great-great-grandpa fell in love with a salt-water nymph by the name of Calisera. So I'm 'impure.' Basically, most mer were ancient bloods, but now, a whole lot of 'em aren't."

"So nymphs don't have powers?"

"Nope."

"I see," Callie nodded, her shimmery tail flicking behind her as they neared the tall green academy gates.

"Yeah. I have two siblings. There's C-Corthic, 2 years older than me, who—um never mind. I know you told me your secret so I promise I will explain, but I just can't right now. Somewhere more private would be best. Anyways, there's also Karsea, my 6 year old sister. I really do hope to clear my brother's name so she doesn't have to go through the same thing I did."

Callie nodded in understanding, but as a student sped by, a strand of her hair flew into she face. "Ew," Callie muttered, pulling out a lock of blond hair. "I think it's a little in my nose."

Secrets of the Seaजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें