xi. charlie's revelation

Callie smiled in satisfaction, but it quickly morphed into a scowl. She'd show them, show them all. She was just as good—no, better than Sylvia! Her blood was golden, if she recalled correctly when Uncle had made her bleed, the moment she accidentally collided her hand with water, the blood had started to shimmer a bright gold.

She had to do this.

Then, she realized something with a sinking feeling, remembering some information she had learned earlier.

The moon. The ocean and moon were deeply connected, so that's why on a full moon, a merperson's powers would increase dramatically up the scale. But for young merfolk, the full moon captivated them, taking control or messing up their power until the sun rose, and wouldn't remember a single thing that had happened. Adults could resist it and instead their powers would go up the scale and they'd be in control.

What was Sylvia thinking? Tomorrow at sundown, the moon rising, wasn't just any moon. It was the full moon. She remembered whenever it was the full moon when she'd stayed with the Monsolkas, they'd lock every door, shut every curtain, and took many precautions to not let the mermaids see the moonlight.

So that meant... the duel would be rescheduled even earlier. It had to be.

The castle was sure to be in lockdown at sundown.

"That's even less time," Callie muttered. Then, a tiny seedling of doubt took root. What if her blood wasn't good enough, not powerful enough? She didn't want to let Sylvia win, but it wasn't her decision. Blood was to choose the winner.

And she was going to make sure it was her blood that knocked Sylvia to her level.

Then, she thought of a certain intelligent, standoffish girl that could help. Maybe it seemed like she wouldn't, but Callie would do everything she could to persuade the girl.

"Please, Jade?"

"Fine, I'll help you," Jade relented, flicking her tail impatiently. Her lip was curled and she was obviously irritated.

"Great!"

The two girls were sitting in the First and Second Level's Sitting Room just after dinner, where the boys and girls could gather and hang out. There were comfy shell cushions, oyster seats, and squishy sofas. There was a heated thermostat hollow, a round hole in the wall where a series of metal loops were boarded in, heating the water there in case any of the mer got cold. On the left side, a stairwell led to the First and Second Level's boys' dorm rooms, and on the right, the girl's.

"I don't know how I even agreed to help you."

"I asked?"

"No, more like it was to stop you from begging me like a peasant."

"Thanks! This means a lot to me, Jade, that's nice of you."

Jade glanced at a beaming Callie, stoic expression faltering for a moment. Jade's lips twitched like she was about to smile, eyes softening, but then when she realized what she was doing, she scowled and her face turned hard once more.

Callie couldn't help but wonder what restrained Jade from being happy. The girl acted as if she wasn't allowed to be. Perfect posture, short talk, angry demeanor—there was something going on.

"Why are you always so serious?" Callie blurted.

Idiot, she thought. I'm an idiot.

Jade narrowed her honey brown eyes. "I will see you tomorrow at the Library, 5:00 A.M sharp. Do not be late, got it? Good night."

With that, the girl swam swiftly to their dorm.

"But it's only 7pm right now! Why sleep so early!" Callie called after her. "Also, 5 in the morning is too early!!" Jade didn't reply. She was gone.