xii. training

"Wake up!" A voice trilled. Callie bristled. Couldn't they see she was trying to sleep? Callie groaned. "Not now, Darry! It's too early, I can't even see the sun yet!"

"Your eyes aren't even opened, and I'm not Daryah!" the voice cried indignantly. "It's Charlie! And you're the one who told me to wake you up!"

Callie peered up at the ghost. "Why would I do that?"

"Because, you have training with Jade today so you can beat Sylvia!" Charlie huffed. "Honestly, some people can be so ungrateful!"

"Oh!" Callie exclaimed, jumping up. She quickly lowered her voice when she heard Jolie let out a snort. "Thanks!"

Charlie just made a hmphing sound.

"Thank goodness it's a weekend, I'll have more time!" Callie whispered as she fumbled for her trident.

She changed into a simple silver cami that made the silver in her viridescent tail stand out, then put her hair into a ponytail.

She quickly exited the room, and to the Library.

When she got there, Jade pointed a finger at her, scowling.. "You're late!"

Callie was about to answer when she caught sight of something shiny flashing on Jade's middle finger.

It was a beautiful ring, with overlapping silver bands, stamped with a strange symbol made of solid bright green emerald to it.

"That's a lovely ring," Callie said admiringly.

Jade dropped her hand hastily, shoving her hand out of sight. Also as if she wanted to hide it or something.

"You ready?" Jade asked, crossing her arms, changing the subject.

"Sure am!"

"What are you wearing?!" Jade exclaimed, gesturing at her outfit accusingly. Her hazelnut eyes were wide and her lips were curved into a disapproving scowl.

"Um, clothes?" Callie tried. They were clothing. She really didn't see the problem of her choice of outfit.

"No, no, not that. You can't wear that during training! Do you have a death wish for your clothes?"

"Well, no, but—"

"Then change!"

"Why? We don't have time!" Callie exclaimed. "What about training?"

"Fine, but it isn't my fault if you get your clothing torn and ruined!" Jade huffed.

"Wait, what? This is my favorite top!"

"Too bad. Shouldn't you have thought of that?" Jade demanded, her golden skin glowing in the dim candle light. "Oh, er, okay," Callie mumbled.

Callie reached for her trident, but didn't have to, as Jade impatiently pointed her own. "Ugh, I'll just do it."

In an instant, Callie's top turned into a sleek black top and a silver liner leather jacket. "Um?" Callie said, really not seeing how it was better.

Jade rolled her eyes. "It's much better," she said, then nodded. "It's water-proof, agile, and stretchy material. It boosts your speed and is very comfortable and sleek."

"Okay..." Callie said.

Jade motioned Callie forward.

"So, what will we be doing?" Callie asked casually.

"Dueling."

"Oh?" Callie gulped. "With who?"

"With Rocky."