xvii. who is isla?

"So, you incompetent little children have returned to further sully my class," Professor Corvus Canzinter said in distaste as he stared at them with beady blue eyes from underneath his long, thin, pointy nose, pursing this thin, permanently scowling lips.

"Well, we aren't exactly allowed to skip Potions class," Torti pointed out. "But I wish we could," she added under her breath, causing a few giggles.

"Five points from you, Miss Tortiya Tacato," Professor Canzinter sneered. The giggles silenced immediately.

"That's not fair!" her twin, Kasadiya shouted.

"And five from you too, Miss Kasadiya Tacato," he snapped.

The Taco twins glared at him but kept silent.

"Today, we will be brewing a potion called the Hysteria Draught," he said, scowling at them. "It causes uncontrollable hysteria and laughter, due to the hyster leaves in it. Hyster, also known as the Hereath Tree, is a magical underwater tree whose leaves are noted for hysteria-inducing properties. Hysteria Draught is a simple potion, however, mere inhalation of its aroma can cause hysterical laughter. Internal use is unwise and should be strictly regulated. The only known antidote is the treacle produced by the Solemnity Blossoms. I have written instructions upon the board and you shall follow them with precision, am I clear?"

"Yes sir," the class chanted back.

"Good. Now you annoying brats should get to work before I fail you."

"You vulgar octopus," Callie snorted under her breath.

"Did you have something to share, Miss Calypso Hydale?" Canzinter asked snidely.

"Nope, just thinking about the ingredients!" Callie said in an innocent voice as she snatched up some pink speckled green leaves.

"Good," he sniffed, glaring at her form under his beak-like nose.

He stomped away to go criticize and torment another student.

She went back into her seat, annoyed that none of her friends were in this class to partner up with, so she sat next to a random boy.

Her level, the Level Ones, were sharing the class the Level Twos, who probably already made the potion before.

Callie glanced up at the board, and thought the process to making the potion was pretty simple.

• Bring Water to a simmer in the cauldron.

• Coarsely chop Hyster Leaves and add to water.

• Steep for 10 minutes.

• Strain and transfer all into phial.

• Let cool and store.

As Callie was slicing the leaves with a chopping knife, her thoughts wandered to the night before, immediate self-disgust filling her.

Then, Callie felt a hand gently move hers from the knife, which had been aggressively cutting the leaves.

"Careful," the person said in a smooth, silky voice. "It won't work if the leaves aren't well sliced."

Callie blinked out of her daze and raised her eyes to the amused, soft turquoise ones of the Level 2 boy she had sat next to.

"Thanks...uh..."

"I'm Dover, Haven Dover," he said offhandedly as he dumped the leaves into the cauldron.

"Oh," Callie said, watching as he ruffled his dark chocolate brown hair, handsome features still edged with amusement.