iii. an unprecedented discovery

"For what?" Callie demanded breathlessly as two of the cops gripped her arms, none to gently, holding her back. Bystanders stopped to witness the spectacle, gossiping as the police sneered at the restrained cursed girl.

"You can play innocent as long as you want," Bob said loftily with an infuriating know-it-all- smile. Callie glared at him. Play innocent? She didn't do anything wrong!

"But I didn't do anything!" Callie answered through forced calm, fury of the unjust statement flaring in her blue eyes. "Ow! Watch it, will you? Your nails are poking me!"

"You can tell that to the judge in court during your trial," he said, ignoring Callie's protests. 

What?!

"Court? Judge? Trial?" Callie asked incredulously, going limo for a moment in shock. "But I didn't do a single thing, I swear! I only skipped school! And someone named Earl Limax Pulmenti tried to kill me."

"And what did you do when you skipped school?" Polise accused. "Murder an innocent person?Attempted to frame a very important earl who so happens to donate a generous amount of gold to the police?"

Callie was astounded. "Excuse me? Okay, murdered? Framed? You know, you have the wrong person if you're saying I did any of that. I'm literally only 12. Wait a second, today... today my birthday... so I'm 13, you know, this is probably the worst birthday ever. You see, you should be chasing after the earl. He tried killing me with that other man, who I supposedly killed. He can't be innocent just because he donates you money, that makes no sense! And it wasn't fun, almost dying, you know. Can't you see today's has been seriously traumatizing? I also just got disowned by my family. Can you five me a break?!"

"We have witnesses," Copo said smugly, ignoring every word she just uttered.

"What?" Callie gasped, bewildered. Did someone hire false witnesses? There was no way there were real ones because they would have affirmed everything she just said. "Who? Oh, was it the dumpster? Dang, I knew I should have told him to be quiet!" she said sarcastically. 

"A polite young dumps—ahem, lady, Anise McGraw and her father, Horton McGraw. And two of her friends—Nicki Zeen and Ava Montgomery. There is no need to lie any further, nor is there need for your sassiness, young lady."

Callie's mouth clenched shut. Her eyes closed, and she had to take a deep breath to control her rage. Anise and her friends were all despicable liars. They were probably having a big laugh right now with the rest of the class, the witch girl being arrested. 

"They're lying," Callie stated lamely. She knew that wouldn't do any good, but she couldn't help it but say the words

"Oh, really? We found the knife with DNA evidence all over it!" Polise cried triumphantly. Callie's fingers twitched, her mouth curving into an annoyed scowl. 

Like a strand of my hair? Or my, oh, I don't know, tears? Dear pineapples, forgive me for trying to save my own life, will you, Polise?

"And there's fresh blood on your shirt, face, and hand, and bruises on her face and arms, so he must've put on a struggle," Bob chimed in. Were they really so dense as to not even think that she, the most hated person in town, was being abused?

They all smirked at her, thinking that was all the proof.

"Ever heard of child abusers?" Callie muttered under her breath, rolling her eyes. "Or real murders attempting to frame a traumatized child?" Gee, these cops really sucked.

 "Witches we despise. Murderers? They deserve to die," continued Bob. 

Callie wheeled around and decided to spit in his face. She felt a smal shrivel of satisfaction seeing the rude man blanch.