iv. septarise gully

"Is this... is this Artesia?" Callie asked in awe.

"Yes," a mermaid told her with a weird look as she swam off.

A mermaid. A real live mermaid! Oh, wait. Wasn't she one too? Was she? Callie could hardly believe it still. Was she hallucinating? Or maybe she was dead and was dreaming. None of it seemed real. Especially after she looked at Artesia, which was easily the most marvelous place she'd ever seen, especially because the part of England she lived in was so dreary and gray.

But here, it had paths paved out of soft pink shells, tall homes of shiny sea metals, and best yet, the pearl palace.

It was completely made out of brilliant white pearls and sea metal, with coral columns, hard sea glass furniture, and beautiful silver doors.

Then, someone grabbed her arm when she swam a little closer, admiring the beauty. It was a merman with silver and blue armor strapped around his torso and a spear in hand. "Oh my mermaids, not again!" Callie cried. "Who are you and why are you here?" The guard asked her gruffly. A few mer gathered around to watch.

Deja vu prickled through Callie. "My name is Callie, and what do you mean by 'what are you doing here?' I'm just a mermaid! What do you expect?"

"How come I've never seen you before?" the guard demanded. "Um, because I come from a different colony," Callie said in what she hoped was a duh sort of voice.

"Then why are you here?" he asked.

"Um to attend school," Callie answered. Was there a school? There had to be. Oh no. What if she got in trouble, or was found out, or thrown in mermaid prison, or—

The merman lowered his spear. "You are Riparian?"

"Yes," Callie replied, hoping this was a good thing. "Riparia is an ally." Then the guard swam away.

"Uh, good to know!" Callie shouted after him, confused. "Hello?"

"Oh my sea eels, you're here to attend Cordisyrenix?" a pretty redheaded mermaid her age asked excitedly.

"Cordi what now?"

"The famous mermaid academy here in Artesia. That's why you're here, right?"

"Umm... how do you sign up?"

"Oh, they send you a bubble-gram! Look! Here comes one now!"

Callie looked up to see a big fat rainbow bubble come hurtling towards her. Then, it smacked her in the nose with a loud *pop.*

Rude. Why was everything and everyone so rude today?! Even a bubble was, and that made no sense.

Out of it rolled a bit of golden waterproof parchment written with elegant back ink.

Sent August 2
𝕮𝖔𝖗𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖞𝖗𝖊𝖓𝖎𝖝 𝕬𝖈𝖆𝖉𝖊𝖒𝖞
𝖔𝖋 𝕸𝖊𝖗 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝕸𝖆𝖌𝖎𝖈

Headmistress: Aerwyna Cordiaffus
Order of the Triton
Undersea Sorcerers Association
International Confederation of Merpeople

Dear Miss Calypso Hydale,

We are pleased to inform you that you are hereby invited to attend Cordisyrenix Academy of Mer and Magic. All equipment and supplies shall be bought at Sepetarise Gully, located behind the Ocean's Door Pub. We await your bubble-gram no later than August 20.

Please swim to Cascade Falls Base and go to Platform H20 ½ where you will board Corisyrenix Submarine at approximately 12:00 P.M and will depart at 12:10. Term begins September 2.