Chapter 25: Missing

Her hands shake, clutching hold of a scalpel from the table.  She inches towards the door, pushing against the handle.  A soft wind blows through the room as the Greenie bolts out the door; sprinting away from the med bay.  I inch towards the door with a slight limp.

     The girl dashes towards a rickety ladder and climbs up the lookout tower near the East Door.  A handful of Gladers stare in awe, the rest shouting in panic.  A groaning pain shoots up my abdomen as I try to get closer.  Clutching onto my side, I push forward, joining the small crowd of Gladers forming at the bottom of the ladder.

     Immediately, a small stone rains down on the group, then another and another.

     "What's going on? Is that--" Newt inquires, cut off by another stone landing beside him.

     I thrust my arms in front, attempting to block the coming rocks. "The Greenie?  Yeah..."

     Gally's head pops up from the others as he shouts an indistinct phrase.  I sneak up beside him, careful to avoid the incoming rocks.  As I approach, his words become clear. "Quit throwing those or else--"

     A smaller stone thunders down on the group, knocking Gally smack dab on the forehead.

     Simultaneously, Thomas pushes through the crowd, scrambling to the base of the wooden tower.  Gally retreats into the host of people, nursing his head.  Drew, one of the other builders, shades Gally from the incoming rocks with a withered plank of wood.

     "Thomas, wait--" I shout to no avail. Thomas hoists himself up the ladder, beginning his climb. The rocks dissipate as Thomas vanishes, reaching the top of the lookout tower.  Silence spreads throughout the Gladers.

     After a long while, Thomas' voice emerges from the tower, "Just give us a minute, guys."

     Gradually, the crowd wears thin, Gladers leaving to return to their jobs.  As I turn to leave, Gally approaches, still massaging his forehead.

     "You okay?" I ask, pointing to the bruise already beginning to form.  "You should put a wet towel on it, might help keep down the redness."

     "She hit me..." Gally mumbles as if still in shock. "...with a rock!"  He squints, averting his eyes to the tower.  "She's crazy!"

     "Crazy or no, she might be able to tell us something about the note from the Creators.  Maybe Thomas will have more luck getting through to her."  I respond.

     "Yeah," he growls haphazardly.

     "Why don't you come to the med-bay, get that checked out.  They might be up there for a while." I state, running my hand through my hair.

     Before he can reply, Thomas appears behind him, his face void of expression.  He glances to the Deadheads, then back at me.

     "What's wrong?" I inquire.

     Gally's eyes shift to him, boring into Thomas.  "Spit it out, Greenie."

     Thomas creases his brow, handing me a crumpled sheet of paper.  "The girl, Teresa--"

     "She remembers her name already?" I ask, dumbfounded by his statement.

     Thomas sighs.  "Yeah, uh, she said she found this in the box when she woke up, before the coma."

     A word lies hastily written in the middle of the paper, "Newt."  The note crinkles as I unfold it, careful not to tear the paper.

     Gally peaks his head closer to the note.  "What does it say?"

     Cursive writing, which is starkly different from the outside of the paper, adorns the inside, creating a small paragraph.