Chapter 2: Celebration Night

Noise blares through my ears from the chattering amongst the gladers.  Tonight is when they celebrate their new arrival.  Darkness looms over me at the thought of rejoicing throughout this misery, my entire life, gone, forever.

     Flames blaze into the air, shining over the dark faces of the other gladers.  I'm sitting on a log beside Newt and another Asian glader who I don't know the name of.  Over near a big house, well shack, another kid is dishing out some sort of stew.  Newt leans over beside Alby, laughing as he gulps down a drink, alcoholic by the look of it.

     Gally is over, surrounded by a group of guys, forming a complete circle.  One smaller boy is in the centre.  Without hesitation, he charges at Gally, his fists flying around Gally's head.

     I sprint over to see what is happening, bursting through the group.  The distinct smell of sweat and mud bombards my nose as I spot Gally standing in the centre of the circle, his fists clenched and raised in a defensive position.

     Cheers erupt from the guy beside me, bursting through my ears.  Gally flings the boy he is fighting over his shoulder, smashing his back straight into the ground.  The booming thud only causes everyone to roar even louder.  Swiftly, the boy scampers to his feet, wiping the muck off his shirt.

     Gally mutters some taunts at the other boy.  Sweat drips down his face and a slight look of embarrassment as he finally charges Gally at top speed.  Everyone stays silent in anticipation of what will happen next.

     Gally suddenly dodges the boy and sends him flying straight into the crowd.  Shouts from the gladers send a sharp pain shooting through my head.  The boy starts wiping blood dripping off his nose as Gally prances around the circle, flailing his hands in the air.

     Abruptly, a piercing cry erupts from inside the Maze.  I jerk around to see what is going on.  The gates on the walls are still completely shut yet the noises are still happening.  Something inside the maze is creating crunching sounds, and high-pitched screams echo across the glade.

     All but familiar looks flash across the Glaser's faces at the sound of it.  Hesitantly, I inquire what's going on, "What was that?"

     Gally begins to wipe the dirt off his clothes while answering my question, " That's the Grievers.  Don't worry, shank, they can't come in here."

     I shudder at the thought of being torn to shreds by whatever is out there, although, with the suicides, or murders, Newt told me about earlier.  He didn't say much, but, from what I could gather, there could be a killer in the Glade. 

     Immediately, a memory creeps its way back into my mind.  Tanya, my name is Tanya, I remember.

  Tanya, my name is Tanya, I remember

"...and over here is the Homestead, this is where...."

     Gally's voice slowly disappears as my mind drags onto other things.  I start thinking about what he said earlier, about the jobs.

     There are twelve: runners, baggers, cooks, med-jacks, leader, 2nd in command, brick-nicks, builders, sloppers, slicers, baggers, gardeners, track-hoes, and map makers.  Tomorrow I'll be trying out for the gardeners.

"Are you even listening?"

     The orange glow of the sunset shines over Gally's face as he snaps his fingers in front of my eyes, waking me out of my daze, "Yeah?"

     Raising his incredibly huge eyebrows, he stands directly over me, "Look Greenie, if you're not going to listen, there ain't any point in me telling you anything."

     Switching the topic, I point my finger to the stone wall directly beside us, "What's that for?"

     It has many names carved into the stone.  Some words are deeply carved in, but some of them are crossed out.

     Gally pulls out a chisel from his back pocket, "That reminds me, write your name up."  He passes me the chisel and crosses his arms.  I just hold the chisel, wondering what to do.

     He nods and points to the wall, "C' mon Greenie, it's not that hard." 

     I begin trying to write up my name.  The sharp edges from the name beside mine dig into my arms as I start bashing the stone with the chisel.

Tanya

     "Nice, have fun, shank."  He says, starting to walk back towards the Homestead.  I trace my fingers over the engraved letters, almost in a trace.  Biting my lip, I search my mind for any memories, but none.  With a sigh, I push my back against the stone wall, sinking to the grass.

     Tears swell in my eyes, waiting for me to blink.  A lump forms in my throat as I try to gulp it down, but I cannot.  Emotions overwhelm me; sadness, frustration, but mostly pain.  The pain of knowing that only a week ago, I had a life.  Not only to have that ripped away, gone like I don't even exist anymore.  To think that whoever, or whatever I was is lost forever.

     I wipe away tears rolling down my cheeks, falling onto my tan shirt.  I rise from the ground, inching over towards the Homestead.  It does not take long to arrive.

     People run across, each going to their beds after a long day.  I stumble towards my hammock, collapsing onto it.  The sound of sleep gets more appealing as I shut my eyes, falling into a deep slumber.