Chapter 5: Self Reflection

"Will Zart be okay?"

     Newt begins plunging an oaken stick deep into a klunk pot, or as Newt put it, the loo, "' course greenbean, he'll manage.  Poor shank, probably got himself seein' things out in the deadheads."  

     Pacing back and forth across the ground, I try to recall Zart's precise words, "It was him...  I saw him."  Maybe I'm just being paranoid, surely it's possible he was referring to someone else.  

     A sudden gust of wind sweeps the putrid stench of klunk towards me. "Phew! That's some nasty stuff right there.  Why are you here anyway, aren't you a weeder or something?" I remark, simultaneously pinching my nose.

     How the stench of this place doesn't travel across the rest of the glade is beyond me.  A large wooden bowl sits in the center of the mud hut, as a ray of sunlight, protruding forth from a gap on the roof, lights the room.  Over the bowl rests a mahogany plank, presumably for sitting on.  Hardly hygienic...

     Newt mutters something to himself whilst wiping the beads of sweat off his forehead and on his ragged sleeve, "One of the sloppers had a 'lil wager, typical glade stuff, ya know?  Well I lost, now I'm left, lookin' at myself through klunk water."

     A flood of relief washes over me at the realization that I already possess an occupation.   I can already feel nausea sinking in, turning my stomach.  Newt glances back up at me, "Speakin' of, you've seen yourself, right?   It ain't like we got mirrors or somethin'."

     The realization soon hits me like a ton of bricks, I don't know what I look like, I can't remember.   With everything that's happened, the thought never crept into my mind.

"I never really thought about it I suppose."

     A slight smirk flashes across his pale face as he signals down to the toilet, "No time like the present, greenbean."

     "Wait, you're not serious, are you?  There's bound to be something else reflective around here...."  I state, passing my gaze around the room.  I soon discover that this might just be more convenient, but still, the smell...  "There's bound to be all sorts of mutations down that!"

     My verbal complaints and disgusted expression soon cause for a reaction from Newt, "C'mon Tanya, you're really gonna wait 'till we get back, or ya gonna brave up a bit?"  My curiosity gets the better of me as I approach the klunk pot.

     As I try to see past the murky waters, I can make out some recognizable features.  Smooth ginger locks of hair swoop over my peachy skin.  A light dust of freckles partially covers my stumpy nose, emphasizing a peculiarity of my eyes.  The fading light in the room and dirty water makes it hard to tell, but I soon realize both my eyes are different colors.  One possesses a deep shade of blue, but the other, a hazel green.  I look about eighteen or so, maybe a little older.

"C'mon Greenie, don't get too carried away."

     Abruptly, Jeff barges in through the door, gasping for a breath, "Newt, where have you been?  I was looking all over for..... phew!"  An expression of disgust passes across his face, "Is that... are you cleaning the klunk pots?"  

     Rolling his eyes to the back of his head, Newt responds slightly annoyed, "That's what it looks like, now what did you wanna say?"  Jeff continues, "Well, I told Alby about Zart, and he told me to get you, said you should talk with him, see if he saw anything.  Tanya, you should probably come too."

"

     After what feels like an eternity of walking, we eventually reach the med-wing near the homestead.  Zart's shuddering breath echos throughout the room as cool gust of wind slams the door shut.

     In a kind but gentle tone, Jeff begins talking to Zart, who is at the far corner of the room, "Hey Zart, Newt's here to talk with you, asking about what happened, what you saw."  

     He doesn't look much better from the last time I saw him.  His face is still white as a sheet, eyes drenched in fear.  Looking up from the floor, he timidly answers, "I'll talk to her."

     All eyes shift their gaze towards me.  An unspoken confusion crosses everyone's minds, including my own.  Jeff retreats back towards the door, Newt falling in line behind him.  

     As they leave, I approach Zart, "Why so paranoid?" I say, pulling out a chair beside his bed.  A shadow of fear falls over his grave face, revealing the seriousness of the situation, "Your the only one I know I can trust for sure."

     Before I can question him, he continues, "I was getting some fertilizer from the deadheads, when I heard a weird noise.  When I looking in the direction of it, I could see a shadowy figure, like a man, that's how I know I can trust you."

     What is he so afraid of?  My mind is riddled with curiosity, "What happened?"  Taking a deep breath, he proceeds, "I couldn't make out much through the dim light, but he started sprinting towards me.  I knew then and there that if I didn't get out of there, I wasn't going to make it."  

     I soon recall being in the deadheads, I could have died, had it not been for Gally's big mouth.   But if that's twice, it calls to reason that whatever or whoever this is, has some special connection to the deadheads, or it's just mere coincidence.  Maybe whoever put us here is trying to mess with our heads...

"Why didn't you want anyone else to know?"

     My question slowly sinks into his mind as he replies, "And risk whoever it was knowing that I told you?  No, the best chance I have if they're convinced I won't tell."  As far as I'm concerned, there's not a lot Zart can tell, not much of importance.

     A quick knock on the door interrupts our conversation as Newt comes back inside, "You two done yet?  Got a job for ya, Greenie."