Chapter 20: Breaking and Entering

"Uh, guys, are you sure this is a good idea?" the Greenie inquires, a worried look dabbling his face.  

     Chuck playfully slaps his shoulder, "It'll be fun!"

     I disdainfully shake my head, scoffing as I reach for the door handle.  Here is where the runners sleep.  If one of them is a killer, hopefully, there might be some clues in here.

     The newbie shuffles from foot to foot, fumbling with his hands, "I think we should go, the sign says runners only."

     My gaze rises to the sign above the door.  'Runners only' is deeply engraved in the wood.

     Chuck smirks, "It'll be fine, loosen up a bit, Greenie. We're not gonna get caught."

     "Famous last words," the new guy mumbles, hesitantly following as I enter the room.

     Stagnant air combined with musty sweat lingers in the air.  Several rugged beds are scattered around the floor.  Small tables are stationed at the side of each bed.  A stream of light pours in through an open window at the other side, revealing speckles of dust floating in the air.

     "See if you can find anything that might be important,"  I say, heading towards one of the bedside tables.

     Chuck begins to rummage through one of the tables.  He eagerly pops his head up, holding a bottle of hair spray, "Ha!  So that's how Minho gets his hair like that.  Do you think he'd mind if I borrowed some?"

     "Yes, I think he would, Chuckie.  Remember, we're not here to be nosey, or steal Minho's hair spray."  I respond, rolling my eyes.

     The Greenie nervously shuffles beside me, "Um, I think someone's coming."

     I pause, "Calm down, no-one is coming, the runners are out right now.  Hardly anyone comes in the Homestead, don't worry about it."

     My words have no effect on him as he paces back and forth, constantly looking at the door.  After a couple of minutes, he moves over beside Chuck while I continue to search.

     Someone walks outside the door, sounding through the hallway.  We freeze in place.  No one moves a muscle, as if hoping whoever it is will go away.  Another minute passes.  Suddenly, it creaks again as the person leaves, gradually getting quieter and quieter.

     The Greenie sighs with relief, Chuck grabbing his shoulder, "See?  Told you we wouldn't get caught!"

     I squint at him, "Eh, I'm pretty sure I said that."

     "Whatever..."  He shrugs.

     Instantly, the door flings open.  My heart almost jumps out of my chest.  Newt saunters in, his eyebrows raised.

     Chuck chuckles, "We were just...erm...looking for...uh...the thing..."

     Newt's face remains the same, unamused, "Slammer. Now."

"