Chapter 1: Arriving

Darkness sweeps around me.  A metallic creaking ricochets across what sounds like a confined space.  Cold metal grates brush against my fingers, a shiver running down through my body.  I crunch down on my jaw, taking shallow breaths.

     A loud slam begins to echo around the walls.  Immediately, the ground beneath thrusts upward, knocking me against a wall.  Blaring lights flash irregularly, glimpses of the room coming into focus.  Iron bars encase me.

     Trying to steady my breathing, I rack my mind, searching for some clue as to how I got here.  Nothing, no memory remains in my head, of anything, or anyone.  My eyes squeeze shut, a bitter lump rising in my throat.  I try again, but still, nothing, not a trace of who I am, or where I am from.

     I shoot upward, pounding at the roof of the cage, screaming at the top of my lungs.  Slowly sinking back into my original position, warm tears start to roll down my cheeks.  Questions run rampant in my mind, what is happening to me?  I choke back a sob.

     Suddenly, the cage stops.  Silence fills the room, the only audible sound being my trembling breaths, rising and falling with each passing second.

     Light bursts in above my head.  I bury my head inside my hands, cowering from the brightness.  The cage shakes.  Squinting, I focus my eyes in front.  Whispers emerge from people above me, "It's a girl..."

     A loud thud sends the cage rattling as a shadowy figure jumps into the box.  The person stretches out their pale hand towards me.  Reluctantly, my hands shakily reach for it.  They push me out of the cage.

     I collide with the ground, landing on grass.  A crowd of people surround me.  Quickly scrambling away, my eyes dart around them.

     Some of them jeer or laugh as if somehow amused. Others stare, pointing at me.  My heartbeat quickens, rapidly increasing each second.

     A boy jumps out of the cage, shooing away the throng of guys, "Back of will ya? Greenie looks like she's 'bout to have a heart attack."

     I jump to my feet, shifting my gaze to the immediate surroundings.  Massive stone walls surround a large square of grass.  Stone pathways wind in and out beyond the walls, only visible from breaks in the wall.  Vines cover the walls with cracks rippling in and out.  A forest lies to the east, scattered houses spread around it.

     A tap on my shoulder brings me out of my daze.  I turn around to see a pale teen.  His gigantic brown eyes set his chiselled face, blonde hair resting over his forehead.  Rugged clothes lie over his slim frame, and he has some sort of gardening tool in his left hand.  In a strange accent, he starts speaking. "Welcome to the Maze, Greenie!"

     Lost in confusion, I manage to croak out a response, "W-what did you do to me? Why can't I remember anything?"

     The blonde teen continues to answer my questions, "I didn't..." Before he can finish, a loud rumbling sound comes from the walls, and the ground starts to shake.  The gates in the walls begin to move.  I search for some sort of reaction from everyone, but they just look normal, like it's happened a hundred times before.  The boy continues speaking, "I'll explain later, for now, we need to get back to the Homestead."

"This'll be your new home, Greenie

"This'll be your new home, Greenie."     Newt, as he is called, leads me inside a giant wooden house, and into a room upstairs.  Worn beds cover the creaky floor, while hammocks hang down from the beams of wood on the roof.  My mind runs rampant, not wanting to accept the realization, this is my life now.

     Newt tosses a sheet and some rope at me. "Ya can tie your hammock over near the door, if you need help, Gally can help you.  He'll be showing ya around tomorrow, seein' as he was the newest Greenbie.  Your just lucky ya got in the Homestead, most shanks end up sleepin' outside, 'part from Keepers."

     The door slams shut, another guy entering the room.  He's tall, at least six feet, and must be at least eighteen years old.  His brown hair is cut above his forehead, revealing the biggest eyebrows I've ever seen.  The stench from his clothes makes me chock.

     "Maybe this new Greenie knows a lot more than she's telling us, she's the first female one to get here, and maybe the last." Shoving past Newt, he stands right above me.

     Newt puts his hand over eyebrows' shoulder and intervenes, "Calm down Gally, we don't know that yet."

     This is Gally? He is the one who is showing me around tomorrow, and we're bunkmates. Hopelessness sinks into a pit in my stomach, as if this day could not get any worse.