Chapter 60

I opened the door and walked into a room filled with toys. On the walls hanged drawings of children's and on the white curtains hanged blue paper butterflies decorated with glitter. The floor was covered in a colourful rubber flooring giving off a cheerful sight.

"Mr and Mrs. Anderson I've been waiting for you"

Ms. Berkeley, the therapist was sitting on the floor surrounded by small children. She stood up and walked towards us.

She looked over my shoulder and saw Lucas in Marcus's arms. "Here's the cute baby Lucas. Are you excited to see me?"

Lucas turned away and hid his face in Marcus's neck.

"Aww he's shy. Don't worry they all were" She said gesturing to the small children on the floor.

"Ms. Berkeley as I told you earlier Lucas is a bit scared-"

"Oh don't worry. You can leave him here. He will love to hangout with the kids."

I blinked and blinked. What did she say? Leave Lucas? I glanced at Marcus and he was looking at me in confusion.

"Umm...what do you mean by leaving him?"

Ms. Berkeley fixed her glasses and looked at us in shock. "Mrs. Anderson you can't stay here. You have to go now and then can come back to pick him up in few hours"

"But-you didn't tell me about leaving him. I thought we could stay too"

"If you stay here Lucas will only interact with you. That's not going to work. You can come back to take him before your brother's event"

"But he will be sad-"

"Mrs. Anderson don't you want your son to get better? Give it chance. Most of the kids here were just like him. But now look at them. They are laughing, playing, talking. Don't you want Lucas to be like them?"

I looked at Marcus but he was looking away. I knew he was angry with me. This wasn't part of the plan.

My gaze fell on to the children and saw how cheerful and happy they looked. If only my baby can be like them.

"Mrs. Anderson-"

"F-fine" I said, my voice shaky. "But we'll be coming back in three hours"

Ms. Berkeley let out a sigh and nodded. "You made a wise decision. Keep Lucas over there please" She pointed at the circle of children.

I took Lucas from Marcus's arms and walked over to the circle. I crouched down and sat Lucas on the floor.

"Lucas you can make many friends here. Look! They also like animals" I said pointing at some children who were playing with animal toys. "Be a good boy. Mommy will come to pick you up in few hours"

I took my arms away from him to stand up but he suddenly held onto my sleeve.

"Mommy" He looked at me with sad eyes.

"Mmh baby?"

"Don't...go" His lips trembled, eyes filling with tears. My heart sank, burning in agony. At the moment all I wanted was to wrap my arms around him and take him into my embrace, telling him everything would be alright.

But I couldn't. I wanted him to better. I wanted his future to be better.

"Baby mommy will come back quickly. We'll take you to the zoo after visiting uncle Jake"

I turned my head and glanced at Marcus who stood by the door, an unreadable emotion crossed over his eyes.

I kissed Lucas on the head and stood up, blinking back my tears.