Chapter 17

Marcus's Pov

"I will make sure to hand over the divorce papers to you within this year. So remember this marriage will only last for another year and after that you and I will never see each other again"

I didn't mean to hurt her but as her eyes brimmed with tears my heart clenched in pain. All I wanted was to keep her safe. Her tears made me feel guilty of what I was doing.

As I drove off, I felt my sister's eyes on me. She mumbled something to herself but I couldn't care less. I dropped her off at her grandparents house and left to see Camilla.

Should I apologize to her?

My mind was racing with different thoughts. I wanted to keep her safe but hurting her was not on my list. I went back to our house in hopes of explaining the reasons for my actions.

My past was not something that she should be entangled with. I needed to keep her away and safe. As I walked inside Camilla sprinted down dragging a suitcase with her. She had told me earlier that she would be moving out but I hadn't realized that she would follow through with it.

As she left, I waited for her to turn back but she didn't and I felt an unbearable longing creeping up my body.

...

It had been three days. Three days without her. I was confused with myself. I hadn't known that her mere presence had calmed me for the past few weeks. Since she left, my nightmares became worse.

Madeline hadn't talked to me since she came back. She thinks that it was all my fault that Camilla left. To be honest it was my fault. I was the one who pushed away but ironically,  I was the one who was suffering.

She was nothing but a business deal but that thought hurt me. She had been nothing but kind to me and yet I had been the jerk I always was.

The first night after she left, I thought that I could manage without her. After my nightmares came as usual, I went and sat in front of the pool but for the first time in my life, the water didn't seem to calm me down.

I trembled with panic, my hands shaking as I raked them through my hair. My nightmares flashed before my eyes even though I was awake. I looked around to see if there was anything or anyone to help me.

I looked around to see Camilla's room on the first floor. I quickly jumped up and ran to her room. Her scent was still lingering in the air. As I draped her sheets around me , my body started calming down.

Since then I had been sleeping in her room. Her scent reminded me of the night when she asked me if I was doing fine. Since then those memories have been playing around my head each and every day and I feared it.

I couldn't get attached to her. I couldn't be this selfish to risk her own life for my happiness.

I know I wasn't capable of loving anyone and I would not trust anyone with my heart but I felt a sense of responsibility towards her.

I was overjoyed when Steve reminded me of the engagement party that I had to attend with Camilla. Her company made my suit, matching her dress with my the dark blue tie.

I looked through the window and saw her walking towards the limousine. As she opened the door her lavender scent invaded my nostrils. She was beautiful in the dark blue dress, her hair flowing around her shoulders. To be fair, she looked beautiful in anything. 

She avoided my eyes for the entire ride, even though I couldn't stop staring at her. As we arrived at the venue, she got out before me. I saw her trembling figure in front of the flashing cameras and I felt angry. Angry at the reporters for scaring her.