Chapter 26

Two weeks passed and I had been avoiding Marcus. I slept on his bed every day, snuggling closer to him but that was it.

He asked me several times what the matter was but I just said that I was busy with the upcoming contest. He had been nothing but kind to me and I had been an asshole.

I hadn't realised that my insecurities were slowly hurting him. I avoided eye contact with him when we worked together in the same room. I always had lunch with my staff. We talked only a few words each day and it was mostly work related.

These feelings conjuring up inside me were hard to restrain day by day. I wished that I had the confidence to go and talk to him about this. But me being the miserable human being I was, could never muster up the courage to go ahead with it.

"Okay that's it" Marcus slammed his files on the table with a loud thud.

I jumped back in my seat, surprised by the sudden outburst. Marcus turned  and looked at me while fidgeting with the pen in his hand.

Anger was clear on his beautiful face. And his anger was directed towards me.

"Tell me what's wrong with you right now and don't you dare lie to me about it" he ordered with irritation laced in his voice.

"I told you it's the conte-"

He suddenly stood up, his chair flying back. His handsome, chiselled face contorted with ferocious anger as he glared at me with his piercing eyes.

"No it's not. I know it's not. Tell me what's bothering you"

He was the reason why I was feeling this. But I couldn't blame it on him. He didn't show any signs that he loved me and it angered me. What was so wrong with me that he couldn't even feel any love towards me?

I stood up from my chair and replied back.

"It's none of your business. We are gonna divorce anyway. Why do you care?"

His jaw tightened and his fists clenched at his sides, turning his knuckles white. He strode furiously towards me and held me harshly by my wrist.

"It is my business. And I told you not to lie to me" he spat angrily.

His grip tightened around my wrist, bruising it. I whined in pain, trying to yank it back. I struggled against his strong grip but he was too strong for me.

"Marcus you are hurting me" I whined, crying out in pain.

He quickly pulled his hand away and looked at my wrist in shock. He ran his fingers through his hair, pulling a few strands, annoyed with himself.

His gaze fell on my wrist and worry filled his eyes. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you " he held my hand and massaged my wrist with his thumb, making small circles to soothe the pain.

He leaned his forheard on mine and whispered an apology in my ear. 

"Marcus"

"Hmm"

"I'm sorry"

He leaned back, surprised at my words. His eyes search mine for answers and I bit of lip, embarassed under his scrutinizing gaze.

"Can you tell me what's been bothering you?"

I wish I could. But it was not the right time. I needed to know if he liked me so that neither of us would get hurt. All I needed was time to figure everything out.

"Can you give me some time? Then I will tell you" I looked into his eyes pleadingly. He exhaled a long breath in defeat and nodded his head.

"Fine. But please tell me when it's the right time" He searched my eyes for confirmation and I gave him a small nod in return.