Chapter 22

Marcus drove us back to Brooklyn as fast as we could. I got off the car to see my entire building on fire, all the way from the ground floor to the very top, smoke rising up to the clouds, darkening the sky above us. 

A large crowd had gathered around the building as the firefighters tried to diminish the blazing fire which was engulfing the entire city.

I saw a few of my staff outside, crying  and hugging each other for comfort. It was a weekend and thankfully none of my staff were hurt.

"Ma'am" Anna came running, tears streaming down her eyes.

"What happened? " I asked in disbelief.

" We don't know ma'am but the police said this was not an accident. Ma'am who did this? Why? " I hugged her as she choked on her own sobs. 

My employees came running as they saw me. My head started aching as they repeatedly ask me the same question.

"What do we do now?"

I had no idea what we were supposed to. I had many staff members and there were no buildings available in Brooklyn that were capable of containing that many people. Our new designs for the upcoming contest were all burning in the fire.

My head started throbbing in pain and soon my legs gave out, dragging me to the ground.

Suddenly I felt strong hands on my back holding me steadily, telling me everything would be all right.

I glanced at Marcus and saw him looking at me with worry. He ran his thumb along my cheek and tucked a piece of loose hair behind my ear.

Craving for his comfort, I quickly jumped up and wrapped my arms around his broad shoulders.

I buried my face in his chest and he tensed up. But then I felt him slowly wrap his arms around me.

He kept his chin on my head and caressed my hair while patting my back with his other hand. Then he helped me stand up and took me to back to the car.

I saw him talking with some police officers and the media was all around him, trying to get answers.

For the first time I felt relieved that I married him. He was someone who could take care of me when I was at my worst.

Even though he himself was struggling, he was strong and responsible. I felt relieved that I didn't have to bear this all by myself. I felt relieved that I had someone to lean on.

He soon came inside the car and looked at me with sympathy.

"We'll think of something okay?" He patted my cheek and I nodded, already thankful for his presence here.

Grief welled up within me as I looked at my hard work burning into ashes. The costumes we had been preparing for months were all gone. Now we have to start over and work restlessly.

Our rivals will look down upon us, share holders will lose faith in us. With one weakness, we would fall down.

"I will invest in your company so that your stocks won't fall"

He tried reassuring me but I shook my head. It was my problem and I had to overcome it by myself. I didn't want to drag him to something I couldn't handle.

Marcus opened his mouth to say something but closed it as my phone rang. I looked at it to see Sarah calling me.

"Ma'am the share holders are not confident enough that we would win the contest. Most of them are now pulling out their shares. If they keep on doing this we will be facing bankruptcy" Sarah stifled her cries as she spoke.