Chapter 29|| "Decent."

"We fight we get high holding on to love
We came down 'cause there was nothing holding us
Is it wrong that I still wonder where you are
Is it wrong that I still don't know my heart"

Put A Little Love On Me, Niall Horan

(made a spotify playlist for you lovelies with all the songs featured so far, it is on my message board xx)

Chapter 29

This wasn't the first time I was in the backstage of a fashion show, but this was the first time that I was being so involved.

Involved as in my designs are going up there, involved.

To say that I was just nervous would be an understatement.

It was chills down my spine, hands trembling, tummy clenching, kind of nervous.

I watched as the two models wearing my dresses got swamped with my mom's makeup artists.

One of them caught my gaze and smiled kindly.

"Kiara ma'am's daughter, right?"

"Yes," I nodded meekly.

"This piece is gorgeous," she said.

I grinned back at her, the compliment easing my nerves, a bit.

"This one is a stunner, too," the other one said.

"You guys are amazing, thank you," I replied, smiling sincerely at them, right before Kiara D'Souza stepped into the room.

The loud noise and chaos of the huge room instantly shut down to a pin drop silence, all eyes on her.

Her gaze swept across the room, pausing at me for a second before looking right back at the board on the wall.

"Show will begin in five minutes, please line up for the final check in three, team, let's make another show a success," she said, authoritatively before a round of applause circulated around the room.

The team respected her.

Bent to all her whims.

She was a queen.

I felt pride swell in me for her.

"Jennifer?"

I rushed to her almost tripping over something as her steel gaze fixated on me.

"Are you ready?"

"I—?"

"They will announce our names in a bit, I want you to walk out with me. Payal?"

A woman appeared in front of us within seconds, they nodded at each other and before I knew what was happening, I was being ushered to a stool nearby, my face being pricked and plucked and powdered.

It lasted for less than a minute but by the time she was done, I couldn't recognize myself in the mirror.

Damn, she is good, I thought before she winked and walked away.

"Jennifer?" I heard my mom call out again.

"I've done my check on all the models, what do you think?"

I knew it was a rhetorical question because my mom is well aware of her talent. I shifted my gaze from one model to another, all wearing some stunning pieces, each competing with the one before, I had no words.

My designs paled in comparison, I thought with a sinking feeling but before I could dwell much on that thought, I heard the audience being hushed outside as the anchor's voice boomed across.