Chapter 22|| "Low blow."

"I don't know about you
But I'm feeling twenty-two
Everything will be alright, if
You keep me next to you
You don't know about me
But I bet you want to
Everything will be alright, if
We just keep dancing like we're twenty-two, twenty-two"

-22, Taylor Swift

(because this is chapter 22 AND I'm turning 22 on the 22nd of this month, so don't forget to wish me hahaha, also, cries because we are still in quarantine lol)

Chapter 22

"Avi is waiting for us at a park near her house," Ethan stated as he shifted gears.

I smiled at him as I realized we forgot all about my fries.

I needed my carbs for this.

"So, what is she doing again?"

"In life? Failing miserably," he chuckled, shaking his head as if remembering an inside joke. "She is doing engineering. IT."

I nodded as I watched the buildings pass by.

"I'm sorta excited about you guys meeting."

"What if we don't get along?" I mumbled under my breath.

"She will love you."

But what if I don't like her?

"What if?" I asked again.

"I will make y'all like each other," he said with conviction in his tone.

"So if she doesn't like me, this is over?"

He sighed as he glanced at me.

"She is important to me," he stated simply.

"Have your relationships been affected because of her?" I asked, bluntly.

There was a moment of silence as I watched a crease form between his eyebrows. He was contemplating his answer.

"So they have?" I prodded.

"You're acting like a therapist," he said, chuckling.

"Ethan-"

"She has been there for me through all my ups and downs and to answer your question, yes, she has disapproved of girls before but that's because she sees through them and knows what's best for me, just like I watch out for her. But I am sure she will like you, Jenny. And if she doesn't, she will get around."

His words gave me a weird sense of comfort but there was still a nagging feeling remnant.

"Trisha and Arnav seem cool," he said, after a few minutes of silence.

I chuckled, "We don't have to do the double date thing."

After saying it, I realized how harsh that sounded.

He looked at me quizzingly.

"I meant-"

"No, I gave the suggestion because I genuinely want to. I want us to be intimate, Jenny, but you're only intimidated," he said, sighing.

"Low blow," I mumbled.

"Jenny-" he trailed off.

We were quiet after that. This day was already getting worse.

After about fifteen minutes, we reached the front gate of a park in a society I'd never been to.

"Are we okay?" Ethan asked, as he parked the car. I turned to him, my insecurities fading away as I saw the vulnerability in his eyes.